Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sullen little girl

Izzy woke up more aware than I've seen her since before surgery. She's a little mix of sad, anger and frustration. Not very vocal yet, but I can see it in her eyes.

I've explained to her what she has to do to get out of this predicament, but her body language suggests that she wishes to dictate some of the terms more to her liking.
Dale

PS
I was going to post about Phin before I realized Dale had posted twice today, so I added it here. Dale has been at the hospital with Izzy and I've spent the day with Phin. He has been taking this hard. Each night, he was a little more sad, but tonight we had a talk. After I read him his bed time story, he asked "Izzy home?" I reminded him she was going to gone a long time. He said "Izzy sick?". I said yes, she had a broken heart and the doctors' fixed it. I finally saw the lightbulb go off in his eyes. He asked "Doctors use a hammer fix Izzy broken heart?" I said, I don't know, but they may have used a hammer. Then he said, "Izzy crying." I told him she might be, but that we put a picture of him above her bed so he could watch over her. Then he said he missed Izzy, cried a little, and put his head on my shoulder. I told him the doctors were still fixing her, but she'd be home in a while. It has been so hard to be torn between the two, especially since Phin misses his sister so much (at least at bed time). Hopefully, now that he can visualize why Izzy has to stay with the doctors, maybe it will be easier for him.
Mel

5 Message(s)


Posted Apr 19, 2009 8:50am
Wow, I can just hear Phin. I can only imagine how hard that is on you as well. My kids are much older - 10 and 13. So when Matthew (10)was diagnosed last year, Nick (13) was able to comprehend most everything. Phin will end up being a very caring and watchful big brother to Izzy just as Nick is with Matthew. Nick helps with the cooking and makes sure we've given Matthew his meds. He also keeps an eye on him and school and calls me if he thinks anything is just a little off-key. So yes, it's hard for Phin. But in the long run, Phin will become a very compassionat young man. Don't be surprised if you get a doctor out of him!
Dorie
cp: MatthewNeuhaus

Posted Apr 18, 2009 11:03pm
My brother was 6 when I had my first surgery at 7 weeks. It was the spring and he would play in the garden before it was planted. Mom said that she would look out and he would just be sitting there staring off. I hope and pray that Izzy continues to move forward in her recovery. KJ (35 tricuspid atresia, pulmonary stenosis) cp: kjware74

Posted Apr 18, 2009 9:37pm
Oh, that breaks my heart! So many do not realize how hard this is on our whole families. Heart hugs! Joy and Jilliann
cp sillyjilly07

Posted Apr 18, 2009 8:41pm
I'm so glad that she is making progress, in her own time... she will come back to the world and let you know what she thinks soon enough. My heart breaks for you because I know what you're going through and it's so difficult to see your baby in pain and to feel helpless. You all are doing fine. Hang in there!
Heart hugs,
Laura and Lily
cp: lilygrace2

Posted Apr 18, 2009 7:42pm
Sounds like she's taking her time with the meds wearing off. Just imagine when she decides to let loose - I'm sure you'll hear her! : )
HEART HUGS & PRAYERS
cp: josephmichaelhall

No comments:

Post a Comment