McKenzie began to really wake up around 6:30 this morning. Her
eyes were open and she was trying to figure out where she was, how
she got here, and why. By 7:00, they had extubated. After 3 hours,
her blood gasses look good and her sats are in the 90s. She has
vomited a couple of times this morning---all mucus---which is good.
Once she gets rid of the extra fluid in her body and lungs, she
should do much better. I was able to hold her for a little while,
but she was too uncomfortable and I couldn't handle her looking at
me with those big blue eyes, pleading. I don't know what she was
pleading for. I imagined it was pain, but she wasn't crying. She
was probably pleading with me to make it stop. We are trying. She
is sleeping now, much more comfortable now that the ventilator is
gone.
We just have the last chest tube (PD drain), the foley cath, the
central venious line, the artierial line, the normal IV, and the
nasal canula to get rid of before she can go home. She is getting
closer. They plan to turn off her last IV heart med (milirinone) by
the end of today. Then, we just need her to pee on her own. I'm not
getting any hopes up that she will go home soon, but she is making
great strides.
Mel
10 Message(s)
Posted Apr 18, 2009 5:26pm
by Dorie Neuhaus
Hi Mel and Dale!
We're so excited Izzy is off the vent. As far as the rest of it,
it's all in God's time. Between Izzy and the docs, they'll hear Him
and know when. Meanwhile, keep your spirits up, eat well and rest.
The rest of us will take care of the praying. Kiss Izzy for
us!
Dorie
cp:
MatthewNeuhaus
Posted Apr 18, 2009 5:13pm
by Mary Stefanides
I am so glad to hear that Izzy is progressing. I will continue
praying for her to get stronger each day.
Love, Aunt Mary
Posted Apr 18, 2009 4:06pm
by Stefenie Jacks
I am so happy to hear how well she is doing. That is so great
that she is off the vent and awake!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
cp:
Loganbear
Posted Apr 18, 2009 3:02pm
by Amanda Pennington
she just made me smile!!!
Posted Apr 18, 2009 1:45pm
by Liz Munroe
Good, Good, Good!!!!
Posted Apr 18, 2009 1:13pm
by Tamara Recker
Wow, it sounds like she is doing great! How nice you were able
to hold her finally. Contiuing prayers and lots of positive
thoughts.
Posted Apr 18, 2009 11:22am
by Traci Lisa
Wonderful, wonderful news! You made our day.
I'm sure you know this, but 7-10 days is the standard heart surgery
stay. I know you want to go home- but don't make yourselves crazy.
Just plan on it's at least going to be 7 full days. If you "settle
in" it'll be a much easier trip. I always plan on 10- so I'm really
happy if it's 7 and Vito always plans on 5- so gets "nuts" in the
hospital :)
Still praying for you guys and some nice smooth sailing right out
of there!
Posted Apr 18, 2009 11:16am
by Bonnie Hunter
So glad to hear that your precious baby is doing better. I
cannot imagine how hard it must be for you, her parents, to not be
able to do anything to ease her pain and stress. I hope she will be
beyond all that this weekend. May God richly bless and heal
her.
Posted Apr 18, 2009 11:11am
by Nicole Nauer
Yeah!! I am so glad to hear they took the breathing tube out.
Still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Nicole
Posted Apr 18, 2009 10:52am
by Mike Reynolds
Outstanding news for you. Mike Reynolds
No comments:
Post a Comment