Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Status

I just left Dale with Izzy. It is my turn to get some sleep, but I thought I'd give a status update since many things have changed, mostly for the positive. Izzy had her central line removed this morning. That is fabulous since it was stitched into her neck. Hopefully, she'll start to move her head around. They are hoping to remove the pd drain from her chest this afternoon. Her dirurectics are being switched to oral from IV (a step closer to home). They started her on Torodol last night to help with the pain and that seemed to work better than morphine and no versed was needed. She actually woke up around midnight and decided to play. The nurse and I sat her up in her bed and had her favorite guitar in her lap, playing the songs she used to dance to before the surgery. She didn't bop, but she did try to hit the buttons. She couldn't quite do it herself, but she reached for it. She was sitting in her tripod position in the bed all by herself until the nurse started doing CPTs (thumping on her chest and back to loosen the gunk in her lungs). As the nurse thumped her back, she came forward.

She is still refusing the bottle, but held on the pacifier tight all night. I did get her to take 3/4 of jar of bananas. She didn't open her mouth like normal, but she seemed to enjoy them. There was talk of possibly getting OT back in to work on her nippling again. I'm not sure it is a problem of not remembering, but of not wanting it. I was holding the bottle in her mouth this morning and she raised her arms up. I thought she was trying to hold the bottle herself, but instead she tried to push it away. She never wants a bottle when she doesn't feel well. So, she is pretty much n-g dependent as she was a year ago.

Her last problem is gunk in her lungs. Her left lung is partially collapsed due to gunk. We have been concerned regarding the right all week, but all of sudden, this morning, the left is collapsed. Dr. Delius says that is her biggest challenge right now. So, Dale's job today is to get her moving a little more, so she is not laying down all of the time, collecting gunk in her lungs. Izzy's job is to cough and let them thump her. She takes it very well. Once the gunk is gone, we can worry about the n-g tube.
Mel

2 Message(s)


Posted Apr 20, 2009 6:13pm
It sounds like her progress is really going well! Glad to hear you two are getting some sleep as well. Prayers to the both of you and everyone helping at home, work, everything. Your are blessed.

Balloons1
Posted Apr 20, 2009 10:26am
I'm so glad things are moving in the right direction! Hang in there!
Holly
(cp: EliesPage)

No comments:

Post a Comment