Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Extubated & Eating

Izzy was extubated around 1:00 pm today. It was a very rough morning. Finally, at 12:30 they took a blood gas, waking her up completely, and then had to search for the docs to extubate. She was exceedingly agitated and so forlorn. After the extubation, she was a completely different kid. Her lungs are still looking good and her blood gas following extubation was better than before. At 3:00 they let her eat and she took 1.5 ounces on her own. She just ate again at 6:00 and took 3 ounces on her own. The best part was that I got to hold her during that time and she wasn't uncomfortable. She ate better in my arms. I've been waiting for that moment. She also showed me one of her beautiful Izzy smiles. Wen I asked her to say hi, she waved, so I clapped yeah, and she smiled at me. Then, we played putting cups inside of each other and clapping them together. It was wonderful.

So, the n-g tube is out and will stay out as long as she continues to eat. She had a foley placed last night, but that was removed today. She only has an IV and the high-flow oxygen. We need her to clean up her lungs completely so that she can come down off the high flow. I'm guessing that will take a while. She always has issues with her lungs. They are ordering Xopenex, which she uses at home for wheezing. Hopefully, that will help some. She is wheezing a lot and is still crazy gunky. Right now, I'm waiting for her to sleep. She keeps rubbing her eyes and she'll start to fall asleep, then she spits out her pacifier and starts to wake up again. I think she is getting back to my Izzy and not wanting to miss anything.

I don't pretend to think she will be out of here any time soon. Her lungs still have a long way to go, but she is improving. Hopefully, she will continue and we will not have to re-intubate again. Thanks for keeping Izzy in your thoughts.
Mel

14 Message(s)


Posted Apr 23, 2009 8:02am
YAY!!! I am so happy that she has been extubated!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
cp: Loganbear

Posted Apr 23, 2009 7:43am
Great news, Mel. Hang in there! Mike Reynolds

Posted Apr 23, 2009 7:31am

YES! I am so excited to her that Izzy is doing so well (a long road ahead but getting shorter each day) Cant wait until we can see her again, either at school or perhaps a home visit. Get some rest!
Renee

Smiles2
Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:44pm
Yahoo!! Go Izzy. Glad to hear that she drank 3 ounces. She'll be home very soon. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Aunt Lizzy

Posted Apr 22, 2009 10:40pm
such trying times!!! just know that all of you are in our prayers. we're sure everything will be great again soon!!

Posted Apr 22, 2009 9:57pm
Luv the pacifier made me laugh. Jayci loves her B-B (what she calls it):)
I am so glad you got to hold her while you fed her. I can imagine you both left out a content sigh...:)
Heart Hugs
Andrea
cp: OurJayci

Babyg_pacifier
Posted Apr 22, 2009 9:47pm
Here's your pacifier, Izzy. Now you get some good rest!!
I'm so thankful to hear she is improving. Keep us posted....
Prayers Always,
Trisha
cp: JohnnysWay

Posted Apr 22, 2009 9:10pm
Praise the Lord! So happy to hear she being extubate. Praying things continue to move in the right direction.
God bless you all,
The Pollard Family
cp: ourgift

Posted Apr 22, 2009 9:00pm
So glad to hear things are moving along, I know how precious those smiles are!!! Heart hugs, Joy and Jilliann cp sillyjilly07

Set1_rose
Posted Apr 22, 2009 8:13pm
What a trooper!! Izzy has her own style. She will get there on her own terms as usual. Good for her!
Love, June,David and Kristen

Posted Apr 22, 2009 7:19pm
cheers to izzy!

Posted Apr 22, 2009 7:08pm
Yeah!

Posted Apr 22, 2009 7:07pm
...and thank you for keeping us up to date with these postings! Izzy is a real trooper, and I'm one of her cheering ones :) Continuing to pray for her, you, and your whole household.
Cindy =^..^=

Posted Apr 22, 2009 6:58pm
This is great news - so glad she is extubated and making some progress!!
Laura and Lily
cp: lilygrace2

No comments:

Post a Comment