Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Two Steps Forward One Step Back or is it One Step Forward Two Steps Back?

First of all, it does appear that Izzy is responding to the asthma meds they put her on. Dr. Doshi was pleased with her progress when he came to see her at 9:30 last night. However, not two minutes after he left, things started to go downhill. She was continuously desatting, so much so we had to go from 0.5 liters back up 1 liter of oxygen. Once that was taken care of, she slept long and hard, while the nurse weened the oxygen down to 0.5 liter. She woke up and ate well, but when she moved, she desatted, so up to 1 liter she went again. She took a nap, then Daddy came. We played, had fun, ate some more, had a chest x-ray to see why she was seemingly going backward, and then Izzy went to take a nap again. She wasn't asleep yet, but kept desatting, so we had to go up to 1.5 liters. On 1.5 liters, not moving, but not asleep she hovered around 90% oxygen saturation. The x-ray came back with a dark spot on the left lung behind Izzy's heart. It could be atelectisis from the heart (which is unlikely) or it could be pneumonia. They started her back on antibiotics, which they had stopped Tuesday, and just took a blood gas. We are hoping the blood gas comes back fine, but you never know. Once again, nobody has any answers and nobody seems to know why Izzy is desatting and nobody knows how to fix it other than upping the O2.

Dale and I are very lost at this time. Dale is angry, but doesn't have anyone or anything to be angry at, which makes it hard. It is so much easier when anger can be directed someplace, so it can be released, making it easier to move on. I don't know how to say what I am feeling. I guess I'm angry too. I'm frustrated that no answers can be found. I'm sad that my baby wants to go places and see things and she is tethered to the wall. I feel like Phinney is getting short changed. Today he is with Papa, which he loves, but he just wants all of us together. Most of all, I'm sad that once again we've been stuck in a hospital for a week, we will be here for who knows how much longer, and instead of living life, we are just treading water. How I just wish I could take her place! Make me lie in a hospital bed and let her crawl around, grab furniture, and try to stand. Let her smell flowers, pet kitty cats, and learn why this world is so wonderful, I'll be poked and prodded. I already know the joy and wonder of fireflies and the smell of fresh cut grass. This was her chance to learn those things for herself. Now it will be pushed out further and further.

I know you all will because you provide us such support, but please continue to keep McKenzie Rose in your hearts. Hopefully all of the positive vibes sent her way will provide us with real answers and a way home, so that she can see summer for herself.

Mel

10 Message(s)


Posted Jun 14, 2009 6:03pm
Mel,
First we are all so sorry for what Izzy, Phin, and your whole family is going through. All we can say or do to help is to let you know that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Secondly, your kids are adorable!
Thirdly, it was so nice to see your Dad, Aunt Joyce, and Phin yesterday. You will be very happy to know that your son was such a little gentleman, he would give such cute shy little smiles which got a little bigger as time went on. He was very well behaved, which I am sure is no surprise to you. I will pass the information for the carepages on to my mom and sisters, your prayer and support will grow even bigger.
Love, Lorie Mueller

Posted Jun 13, 2009 8:08pm
I hope they find the answers soon. We continue to pray!
melissa and matthew
cp: matthewjoshua

Posted Jun 13, 2009 7:22pm

here is to many days in the sum

Posted Jun 13, 2009 6:35pm
It is normal to feel so frustrated. It's hard to see your child so ill and not have any real answers. We will be praying for answers and healing for Izzy. WE will be praying for peace and comfort for your family. Thank you for the updates so that we can pray specifically.
Terri

Support_save
Posted Jun 13, 2009 6:06pm
Continuing to pray for your little Izzy! God Bless to all!
cp: AlysaBeth

Posted Jun 13, 2009 5:03pm
Our Lord is an awesome Lord, and he will provide the doctors answers to heal precious
Mckenzie Rose....I know the process along the way isn't easy. You all are never from our thoughts, our hearts, and our prayers.
God bless you all,
The Pollard Family
cp: ourgift

Posted Jun 13, 2009 4:44pm
It is such a helpless feeling to watch a sick child and be able to do nothing to help except just be there for her and you are doing that. If it is pneumonia, the antibiotics should have her feeling better and perhaps they were stopped a bit too soon and that is why she seemed better and now is not doing as well. I don't know if you followed little Armstrong's care page, but his motto was "Never Div Up". What great advice from a little warrior. God bless you all.

Posted Jun 13, 2009 3:04pm
sure will!!! all our best to you, sorry the two of you are so frustrated and angry but that's perfectly normal. just know things will get better and soon your little girl will be up and at 'em!!!

Posted Jun 13, 2009 2:42pm
I'm so sorry to hear it. Hopefully they will find the answer.

Posted Jun 13, 2009 2:38pm
Aww I am always thinking of you and praying for you and some answers, you are a tough mama but everyone has their limit and I can understand why you are frustrated. Praying for Izzy to come home soon!
Laura and Lily
cp: lilygrace2

No comments:

Post a Comment