Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No Answers

We have been in the hospital for about a day now and there are no answers. The docs believe they ruled out a bacterial infection, her x-rays came back clean, so the lungs are clear, yet Izzy's sats drop drastically when she moves and is awake. On 2 liters of oxygen, her sats drop to low 90s if she is sitting up playing. As she slept last night, if her nasal canula came off, her sats were mid-80s asleep. They are waiting for the results of the viral studies and will do an echo later today to try to rule out the heart. It is all very confusing and very scary. At least if her lungs were full, we'd know what was going on. The docs seemed just as perplexed as we are.

This entire admission was a shock to the system. Izzy went to see Dr. Doshi for a routine follow-up yesterday. We thought she had a sinus infection since that was what Dr. Richardson determined last Friday. She had a rough night Monday night, but it was par for the course. Dale was staying home with her to make sure she got good sleep in her own bed Tuesday. We never expected that her sats would be in the 70s. She gave no indication. The docs believed she was still just used to such low oxygen saturation from pre-surgery. So, the belief is that her body is just worn out from fighting off infection after infection and trying to heal itself. I don't like that answer and I could tell that Dr. Doshi and Dr. Cutler didn't like it either. One thing they mentioned about the x-ray was that her heart looked large. That is the second doc to mention that in the last couple of weeks. I going to ask Dr. Cutler about that this afternoon when they do the echo.

All of this is just beyond scary. We knew the survival rate for Izzy's actual surgery was high percentages (around 99% survival of surgery). Its the recovery that is the hard part. Well that, and long term maintenance. Last night, as I sat at home after Phinney was in bed and Dale was with Izzy, I stupidly did what I've always managed to prevent myself from doing. I searched the web for long-term prognosis for kids like Izzy. Today, the long-term prognosis is fairly good they think, but they don't know. The surgeries that have helped to save Izzy's life are fairly new and were not performed on babies who would be adults now if they made it this far. So, they don't really know how long any of these fixes will keep her with us. And of course, at end of the chance of survival rate, they listed things that could account for less of chance, such as DiGeorge's Syndrome, needing to replace conduits, etc. Everything seems more real. I niavely believed if she just made it through this full-fix, we would be nearer that light at the end of the tunnel. I've read so many stories about other kids with ToF and all their parents say its been x number of years since the fix and my child is happy and playful. I always knew Izzy wasn't like that since she doesn't just have ToF, but I hoped so hard she would be like that. Maybe she will be, but getting there is really hard.

My beautiful, wondeful, amazing, remarkable baby is finally sleeping soundly. She had a restful night with Daddy, but since I've been here, she's been overly tired and refusing sleep. She is definitely breathing very, very hard, but her sats are 99 with the 2 liters of oxygen. Her heart rate is good and her respiration is good. Monday night, I counted at one point and her respiration rate was 60 breaths a minute. That is crazy.

Thank you all for your support and remember, if you have babies, hug them tight and hug them often.

Mel

17 Message(s)


Posted Jun 12, 2009 1:19pm
As always, you are in my prayers.
Love, Aunt Teresa

Xmas_angel
Posted Jun 10, 2009 5:25pm
Hi,
I am a friend of Cassidy Lisa and her Mommy and Daddy and we want you to know that our prayers are with Izzy and family. We know how scared you must be and we want you to know that we are also praying the doctors find the problem and correct it. We hope all goes well,
Chris Delaney

Support_save
Posted Jun 10, 2009 2:26pm
You don't know us, but we've heard about Izzy through some great heart friends that we've met on this site (Traci, Vito, and Cassidy). Our daughter, too, has TOF and DiGeorge Syndrome and is now 3. Just wanted to drop by to say hello and let you know that we are praying for Izzy and your family. Praying that the docs will find what's going on with little Izzy and that she will get well soon. Keep your chin up and remember to stay positive! I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason and am hoping & praying that all is well soon! We will try to keep up on Izzy's progress. Take care and God Bless!
Nora
cp: AlysaBeth

Posted Jun 10, 2009 2:11pm
I met Vito, Traci and Cassidy when our babies were on the 8th floor having heart surgery. I just wanted to say despite how you may feel right now, you're not alone. I'm sure you have so many people praying for you - us included. We know what a dark time it can be. Try to have faith in the light on the other side.
Melanie McLaughlin
Gracie's Mom
Carepage: GracieMcL

Thinkingofyou1
Posted Jun 10, 2009 1:59pm
The unknowns can be so scary and even more so when you are so tired! There are lots of prayers going up for Izzy and the rest of you.
MoMo Connie
cp: katietestement

Posted Jun 10, 2009 1:41pm
Sending y'all some prayers!
kerri testement
cp: katietestement
e
Encourage_hug
Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:30pm
Izzy has been so strong so far. Yes, she's had a lot of rough patches, but she's gotten through so much. Don't let your worries start doubting her strength. Remember that she's a McKenzie-girl, and all of us our stubborn. She's already shown us that she's made of tough stuff.

Set1_hibiscus
Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:29pm
I'm so sorry it's been a rough go with Izzy. I hope the doctors figure it out soon and she gets rest.

Praying_hands1
Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:16pm
i am cousins of Vito and Tracy. My heart feels for your pain. To read the story of your daughter brought back all the emotions i had when Cassidy was going through the same things. As a father of two girls i understand the love you have for your child. I will pray for your daughter as i continue to do so for Cassidy. Keep your faith strong and remember God can create miracles. Just look at Cassidy.

Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:10pm
The best you can do is take one day at a time. You don't know what the future holds - none of us do. So don't spend time worry about what you can't control

Posted Jun 10, 2009 11:35am
I still have those feelings some days and Hannah is 14. I can tell you that Hannah has had alot stacked against her to but God has always brought her through it. We were told she wouldn't live to see her first birthday and now we are planning for the future and have even been told that some women with one ventricle hearts are having babies. Of course that is just something else for me to worry about, but she thinks it's wonderful. God will see Izzy and you through this. Give it to him, like I am sure you have so many times before and let him work another miracle in her life. I believe HE has a purpose for Hannah and Izzy and that HE will heal her this time too. We are so truly blessed to have girls with such special hearts. I know that mine has taught me alot. Living, Loving, and Laughing each day has a whole different meaning for moms like us!! God Bless You and Keep You!!!
With Love,
Dedie White
cp: HannahWhite

Support_icare
Posted Jun 10, 2009 11:30am
Mel,
I am saddened to read your update this morning. It sounds like things have been tough on all of you especially with nobody coming up with any concrete answers.
Hopefully the echo will result in some news and they can begin to determine what appropriate treatment Izzy will need.
You always have to be careful when doing research online....I know you read my latest update.....because every child is affected differently even if they have the same defect. I know that isn't always reassuring but maybe this is just a little bump in the road for Izzy! We can only hope and pray that is the case!
Have FAITH!!! Izzy is a fighter and she will pull through this too!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
cp: Loganbear

Box_pink
Posted Jun 10, 2009 11:23am

Keep the faith. They will figure out what's going on. It seems like the impossible task to believe that it all will work out. But you have to have faith. If You lose faith- who is left to believe in Izzy? Know that she can do it and beat every odd. She's powerful- and you created her. That makes you powerful too.
If you feel powerful about it - so will your friends and family and in turn, Izzy. Be a cynic in every area of your life - but with your daughter just have blind faith.
Hope is NEVER naive. Izzy will never need a surgery that is as life-threatening as her last. Her heart is more "normal" than it's ever been. Things will start to get better soon. Once these kids get to the age of 2, they stable out. I'm not making that up- that's what I was told. She's not far. Just do whatever you have to do to keep her well. Anything. Everything. Keep her home and dip her in Purell every day if you have to. When you see her through to wellness- it will have all been worth it. It might be a strain financially, emotionally, even on your marriage, but imagine the pride you'll feel and the bond you'll have when you've made it through the battle. Make the decision, as arrogant is it may sound that you are not going to let anything happen to your daughter. Not gonna happen. Not on your watch. Then dig your heels in and do it. We're doing it too with blind faith, luck and stubborness. You can too. You CAN Melonie.
Sending love, prayers, positive vibes and lots of support,
Traci

Posted Jun 10, 2009 11:20am
Mel & Dale: You folks are definitely in my thoughts (and prayers) during this difficult time. I am happy to hear that Izzy is resting soundly - keep on keepin' on -- you and your family deserve nothing but the very best in life. It will all come togehter for your baby. I am sure of it. If you need anything, please just let me know. ~ Mary Tortomose

Posted Jun 10, 2009 10:49am
the fear never goes away...it just sucks, I know...but when it is here I try to pray it away, our kids have come so far, and I give God all the credit...I know He can give them long lives...praying for Izzy. LOve, Kim and baby Will

Posted Jun 10, 2009 10:45am
I was so sad to read this morning, I have been following your story. I will be thinking of you all today and praying that she has a better day.
Judy
cp: Jacksnews

Posted Jun 10, 2009 10:42am
This must be such a difficult time. Try to remember there are a lot of prayers going out for Izzy and the rest of the family. Love and Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment