Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ham Night

The one thing I never expected as a heart mom was not EVER getting time off. I'm not talking about time off from my kids or time away from work, but just a vacation. We haven't had a vacation since the third week in June of 2007, before we were even pregnant with McKenzie. Once again, it is the third week of June and we are not on vacation. Prior to Izzy, I had taken a vacation at Fireside Inn in Presque Isle, Michigan (between Alpena and Rogers City) every year since I was four (except the two years where I studied for the New York and Michigan bar exams respectfully). As it is the middle of this vacation week and my dad and the rest of my extended family have been relaxing, swimming, eating pancakes and frenchtoast for breaskfast, sleeping in, sitting around a fire, and just having fun for a couple of days now, I'm not only exhausted from no break for two years, but sad.

Tonight is ham night. The Inn serves ham, scalped potatos, and corn for dinner. The best part is a tradition we started many, many years ago---ham sandwiches at midnight made from the leftovers. (Although midnight has gotten earlier and earlier as the dads have gotten older and older.) The comraderie of "sneaking" into the kitchen, making a sandwich, and talking over them will be truly missed tonight. (Sneaking no longer is required as the owner started ordering extra ham for sandwiches years ago and lays out the stuff to make them.) Teaching my kids of these traditions is missed as well.

I think it is ironic that at the time when we need a vacation more than ever before (who am I kidding, we just need two days to relax and rejuvenate), we don't have the time to take one (or those two days, or even one). We planned to go this year, even put our deposit down for our cabin, but alas Izzy's extended stay post-op ate away any time Dale may have had to take off from work. It was a good thing since both Dale and I missed so much work spending our days (and nights) at the hospital with Izzy's latest 9 day hospital stay that ended a week ago. I guess that is our life now. Any time away from work is spent at the hospital, doctors' appointments, therapy sessions, and getting lab work done.

 
It is all worth though for weeks like this. Izzy is healthy! She is doing really well and for the first time since her surgery, her lungs are clear. We are giving her breathing treatments daily, asthma meds, and lasix, but it all seems to be working. My little girl is standing more and more and able to pull herself up pretty quickly now. Soon I think she'll be stable enough to even consider taking a step. She is babbling a lot and repeating like crazy. Tonight, she was eating bite size pieces of banana and repeated "banana" at least twice. It was very exciting! Izzy crawls all over the house and when it gets to be too much, she stops to catch her breath. Within seconds though, she is moving again. Hopefully, she will keep this up so next year when it comes time for our vacation, we can actually go!

Mel

11 Message(s)


Posted Jun 27, 2009 8:17pm
sure hope you can be at Fireside next year, you were all missed this year, ham night was fun and as you said earlier than midnight!!! more like 10:30, but that's ok!! take care and just know you'll be with us next year!!

Posted Jun 25, 2009 11:18pm
Hang in there and look forward to the adventures to come. Glad Izzy is feeling better.
HEART HUGS~
cp: josephmichaelhall

Posted Jun 25, 2009 10:11am
Mel,
I wish I could wave a magic wand and send you to your beloved vacation! better yet , take away Izzy's heart problems!! But since i failed my course at Magic School, I will continue to lift you all up in prayer. Perhaps Izzy will be well enough and you could take some time or Grandma, to come to the Music and Movement presentation by Lynn and Sue at Addams ECC gym on July 21st at 9:30. It will be the July contact with early intervention. Hazel and Ssuan Blomberg will be there and I think I will be there as well. Lynn Legg and Ssuan Wit are parent educators employed with Oakland Schools and the Movement and Music Program is their personal presentation. Hope to see you soon!
Renee McConahy

Posted Jun 25, 2009 7:27am
It is great to hear that Izzy's lungs are finally clear! Truly amazing!!!
I know it is hard missing out on things you have loved doing but soon the "hard" stuff will pass and you will be able to venture out and enjoy life again. Next year!
Have a great weekend!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
cp: Loganbear

Posted Jun 25, 2009 12:38am
I'll bet you anything Izzy will be strong enough to go to Fireside next year. And, your family will be able to keep this tradition until you are the grandparents. :)

Posted Jun 24, 2009 11:16pm
How wonderful to read of Izzy's great progress!!! Surely there will be vacations -- just keep thinking how far you all have come and rejoice in the blessings you enjoy. God IS with you!!!
Sending love and prayers,
Robin Scott

Posted Jun 24, 2009 9:56pm
Hey Mel!
I understand the frustration. Our concept of normal has been drastically shaken and stirred. I know I've spent a lot of my vacation time this year with dr. appts, sick kids, etc. While we are planning a vacation this year, we're constantly holding our breath as the time nears. We're hoping and praying that some catastrophe doesn't land on our heads and pull the rug out from under us. We have learned to take little mini vacations. Sometimes, for me, that means not doing the dishes and spending the evening watching some sappy movie. It's the little breaks that rejuvenate us day to day. Hang on and keep the faith. Izzy will get through all of this rough road and you'll be heading for a much deserved vacation. Then you'll really relish it. Saying prayer for some peaceful, and restful family time for all of you.
Dorie
cp: MatthewNeuhaus

Posted Jun 24, 2009 9:47pm
Hang in there, your rewards will be grand! I am so glad Izzy is doing so well!
Melissa
cp: matthewjoshua

Posted Jun 24, 2009 9:24pm
next year! there will be a day when chd no longer rules our lives!

Posted Jun 24, 2009 8:00pm
WOW! Sounds like Izzy's doing great! So sorry that you're missing out on your vacations, though. :o( Honestly, we've only had a couple in our 17 yrs of marriage. Glad to hear that things are going well with Izzy!!! God Bless!

Posted Jun 24, 2009 7:55pm
I do know what you mean, as we have learned to call our stays at the hospital- our vacations. Not that it falls into that classification- but it has been are only hope of getting away from home. Somehow I thought this summer would be different- but NO, it will not be- so I too will hope for MAYBE NEXT YEAR. It is so worth it, but our little kiddos deserve a vacation too. Maybe someday it will be the make a wish trip. Heart hugs and enjoy your summer whereever it may be. Joy and Jilliann
cp sillyjilly07

No comments:

Post a Comment