Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Posted Apr 1, 2008 9:48am

The results of McKenzie's catheterization were very positive. She is not progressing as expected, but she is progressing. The shunt is working as it is supposed to and her pulmonary arterties have actually gotten almost twice as large as they were two weeks ago. Her collateral vessels that kept her alive before the surgery have bascially stopped working. This is a very good thing because her blood is now being routed correctly. She is getting too much blood to the lungs at this time because the shunt is too large for her now and this is why she is not progressing as fast as expected. The large shunt is not a concern at this time though because it is needed to help her grow. The shunt is made of gortex so as she grows it remains the same. The size is perfect (we hope) for the size the pulmonary arterties will need to be when she has her complete fix in 6 months to a year. The doctor told us that McKenzie has once again proven that she will do as she desires and will progress at her own rate. We just have to let her be herself! If this is how she is now, I'm scared to think of her as a strong willed teenage girl. Dale and I are in for a ride!

McKenzie is doing very well and while it may take a couple of weeks longer than expected to get out of the hospital, we know it will be soon.
Mel

5 Message(s)


Encourage_megaphone
Posted Apr 2, 2008 9:37am
A little bit of Irony...
Mel and Dale-
I was at physical therapy this morning (just got over a broken foot and had to have the knee drained, too....i am a mess), but anyway, the guy next to me at therapy was telling us about his grandson, who is now 18 months old who had a very similar condition to McKenzie's. He was treated at Children's Hosp of Philadelphia and had surgery when he was just two days old. And you know what, he is FLOURISHING! Hearing his story gave me hope and confirmed that you are not alone in this. The technology they have nowadays is amazing. Just thought I'd pass it on.....I check the page every day to see how my Kenz is doing.
love,
"Aunt" Andrea

Set1_rose
Posted Apr 1, 2008 9:33pm
McKenzie the Magnificent!!
It sounds like you have a real independent little person!!that strong will is exactly what she needs now. Her body knows what she needs and how quickly to progress. You are doing the most important thing for your kids that you can possibly do and that is being there for them and making sure that they both get what they need. That's what parenting is all about. The day will come when you will look back and wonder how you did it all and the answer will be that you were able to do it because it was what was needed. It's amazing what can be accomplished when love and need come together.
You are in our thoughts and our hearts.
love,June, David and Kristen

Animal_turtle
Posted Apr 1, 2008 5:14pm
:)
I am glad to hear that the heart cath went well. I have to agree with you Mel, it sounds like you are going to have one strong willed daughter on your hands. As alwasy you are all in my thoughts and prayers, I am looking forward to visiting once Mckenzie is out of the hospital. Love Nicole

Set1_rose
Posted Apr 1, 2008 3:24pm
Love and prayers from Aunt Jean, Uncle Don, Grandma & Grandpa
We are all so thankful that Mckenzie is as strong as she is. She's
as tough as she is beautiful. I keep grandma and grandpa updated and
I must say they are proud great grandparents. I am able to print out
pictures which they love. Our prayers are with you always.

Posted Apr 1, 2008 11:36am
a message from Ma
Mel,
I love the way you write! I was in the room when you found out about McKenzie and I was not able to tell what was happening to McKenzie the way you can. Maybe you should write for a living (haha). I think Courtney put it very well, that you are a great Mom and Dale is a great Dad. You can only do what you can do. You tried to think of everything before McKenzie was born. You have us dropping Phin off at day care and picking him up and bringing him to HIS home. You have done what is best! Remember that you did everything you could to help both your children. Phin is in loving hands when you are not around. McKenzie is in loving hands when you are not around. Now, remember that there are many loving hearts that are here with you all the way to help and support you when it is needed. Do not hesitate to call on any or us if you need to. I love you. Ma

No comments:

Post a Comment