Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Posted Mar 29, 2008 6:22pm

McKenzie is doing well. She had her chest tube removed today. I'm sure that will help her relax all the better. She did not have the ventilator removed, but hopefully it will be soon. They started feeding her breast milk again (through a nose tube). It allows me to feel like I'm contributing to her recovery and makes it worthwhile to get up in the middle of the night despite not getting to hold a precious little baby.

Dale and I are holding up, but exhausted. I remember when Phin was this age. I was tired, but I at least got to sleep when he slept. Now, I don't get that opportunity. It is a constant struggle to keep it all going---see Phin, go to the hospital, and keep up our life. Phin is getting more upset, but hopefully that will subside when day care re-opens Monday so he can get back into more of a routine. In the meantime, Dale and I have cut back on our hospital hours and opted for more playtime with Phin. McKenzie is in good hands and pretty much asleep 98% of the time. They let her wake up for a couple of minutes every couple of hours, but after that she starts to work too hard fighting against all of the tubes, so they have to sedate her. We can't let her work too hard on anything but healing at this time.

At the end of this message I would like to put a public service announcement: Please donate blood. Every day this week, McKenzie's little life has depended upon the kindness of strangers who have donated blood and blood products. (She has had infusions of blood plasma many days and blood transfusions twice.) I have donated blood (when capable) since I was 18 and I always knew it was helping people. I never thought about how many people until I saw all of the packages of blood being given to my baby. If you are able, please consider donating blood. It does not hurt that much, but it helps enormously.

Mel

1 Message(s)

Posted Mar 30, 2008 1:06pm
Congratualtions, Best Wishes, & Prayers...
Just wanted to drop a quick note. Congratualtions on McKenzie's birth! I hope all continues to go well & you are soon able to all be home together. Our Prayers are with you! Jen Pranke & Family
(P.S. I'm giving blood on Tuesday... & my thoughts will be with you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment