McKenzie's cardiologist returned from vacation yesterday and
finally called us back about her hospitalization last week and her
ultimate release. While the cardiologist on-call was fine with
McKenzie's sats dipping into the 50s and 60s while she slept,
McKenzie's cardiologist was not happy. So, last night, after work,
we had a large oxygen concentrator and many spare tanks delivered
to the house and a visit from a respiratory therapist with a
pulse-ox. McKenzie is to be on oxygen while she sleeps at night
until her sats get higher and we are to monitor her while she
sleeps at night. (Luckily she doesn't sleep that hard during
naps.)
Needless to say, none of the family got much sleep last night. Izzy's oxygen concentrator is extremely loud! Then there is the beeping of the pulse-ox when her sats dropped too low (and Dale and I having to fiddle with the oxygen to get it right). What's worse, her nasal canula must have come off in her sleep, so when I went in there this morning, she had it wrapped around her neck! The good thing is that even without the oxygen, her sats only dropped to the 60s for a couple of minutes once and she stayed in the 70s most of the night (granted she was on oxygen for part of that, but we don't know when the canula came off). I think her cardiologist will be okay with no oxygen and sleeping in the mid-70s (that is where she was before she left the hospital in May). Hopefully, we will not have to continue with this massive machinery for much longer (our house is way too small). McKenzie was doing excellent yesterday before we had to start the oxygen. She was happy, smiling, and having fun. She was rolling around and playing. Now, she is super tired, falling asleep, and not so happy.
Dale and I are working with the cardiologist to come up with the best plan. We don't think having her tired all of the time will help her get better, but we do understand the concern with the very low sats. I guess there are no easy answers. Keep Izzy in your thoughts.
Mel
Needless to say, none of the family got much sleep last night. Izzy's oxygen concentrator is extremely loud! Then there is the beeping of the pulse-ox when her sats dropped too low (and Dale and I having to fiddle with the oxygen to get it right). What's worse, her nasal canula must have come off in her sleep, so when I went in there this morning, she had it wrapped around her neck! The good thing is that even without the oxygen, her sats only dropped to the 60s for a couple of minutes once and she stayed in the 70s most of the night (granted she was on oxygen for part of that, but we don't know when the canula came off). I think her cardiologist will be okay with no oxygen and sleeping in the mid-70s (that is where she was before she left the hospital in May). Hopefully, we will not have to continue with this massive machinery for much longer (our house is way too small). McKenzie was doing excellent yesterday before we had to start the oxygen. She was happy, smiling, and having fun. She was rolling around and playing. Now, she is super tired, falling asleep, and not so happy.
Dale and I are working with the cardiologist to come up with the best plan. We don't think having her tired all of the time will help her get better, but we do understand the concern with the very low sats. I guess there are no easy answers. Keep Izzy in your thoughts.
Mel
No comments:
Post a Comment