Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Posted Jun 18, 2008 8:29pm

The last week has been very difficult. First, McKenzie met with the gastroentergologist who suggested McKenzie's feeding tube be surgically placed in her belly to help with the acid reflux problems (rather than down her nose and into the belly). Two days later, McKenzie went for a routine check-up with her cardiologist and her oxygen saturation levels were low. At that point in time, it appeared that the shunt may be getting too small even though she had not grown that much, indicating possible blockage. We set up an appointment for the this week to re-check. At the same time, an appointment to do another heart catheterization was scheduled for this week. It was very scary, but all we could do was wait. At the same visit, the cardiologist and GI doc suggested we take out the feeding tube to see what happens if Izzy was on her own. Day 1, Izzy did great! She was eating 3 ozs at a time. We were really happy. But as each day went by, she ate less and less because of the acid refulx. Finally, on Monday, we could call the GI to get her on different medicine. We knew that would be the answer. Well, the pharmacy that filled the script closed at 4:00 and did not call Dale as they were supposed to do (and their line was busy the 50 times Dale called them and we don't know where they were located!), so Tuesday I had to pick it up. This morning was the first chance for her to take the new med and it seemed to help. She ate more than she had been doing. Then we went to see the cardiologist. McKenzie's oxygen saturation was back to her normal levels. I was ecstatic. The doctor cancelled the heart cath and they decided we can wait on the feeding tube insertion in the belly to see if the new med really works and she continues to eat well on her own. Then, we went to McKenzie's primary care doctor. It was there that I first saw the blood in McKenzie's stool. The day care ladies had mentioned it, but I thought it was from the diaper rash wounds. It wasn't. Every diaper since 8:00 this morning has had blood. It is scary, but we see the GI doc again tomorrow at the insistence of the primary care doc and GI doc. We are definitely back to the roller coaster. Did I mention Dale has been out of town since Tuesday, so I get to do all of this on my own, while trying to go to work and take care of Phin. All of you working parents are heros. I don't know how you all do it, but I'm learning. I'll have more news tomorrow. Hopefully, the blood is nothing to worry about.
Mel

PS
Phin calls McKenzie Izzy, so that is why she is mentioned as such above.

1 Message(s)


Set1_rose
Posted Jun 19, 2008 1:48am
Good Happy thoughts.
We are all sending good happy positive thoughts to you as you make your way down this ever changing path. Know that even though the way seems uncertain love is constant and coming your way from all of us. Izzy is strong!! So are you!
Love, June David and Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment