McKenzie has had several 180 turn arounds this week, which led
us to figure out her problem. The medication for her ear was making
her vomit. So, with new meds starting yesterday, she is doing well.
This morning, she was happy and smiley and my baby again. She
hasn't vomitted at all today, so her cath is still on for
tomorrow.
They don't plan on doing any procedures during this cath, just injecting dye and seeing how the blood is circulating, getting accurate measurements of the size of the pulmonary arteries, the shunt, etc, and taking other measurements. If some of the collaterals appear too big, they may try to coil them off (insert a spring into the vessle, which will clot and shut off the collateral). Once they get a good picture of what McKenzie's heart and circulatory system are doing right now, they will confer and decide the next steps. We've been told to anticipate that they would use this cath to plan her full-fix surgery.
I have been an emotional roller coaster all day, waiting to hear whether they would go forward with the cath despite the week of vomitting. I want this to happen so that McKenzie can get well, but I don't want to think about what they have to do to her or the risks involved. This cath is the beginning of the next surgery and that scares me. All of the emotions from a year ago have returned, plus a lot more since I know McKenzie's personality now and we went through so much more than I planned on the last time. I'm afraid it will be another instance of weeks on the vent and months in the hospital, where her life will hang in the balance. I don't ever want to walk in a room again and hear doctors say they are losing her. I know she is a lot stronger now, but it doesn't stop the worries. So, I keep trying to tell myself that we just have to make it through the next couple of months, and then maybe McKenzie will start to REALLY get better.
Please keep our precious, precious baby in your thoughts tomorrow.
Mel
They don't plan on doing any procedures during this cath, just injecting dye and seeing how the blood is circulating, getting accurate measurements of the size of the pulmonary arteries, the shunt, etc, and taking other measurements. If some of the collaterals appear too big, they may try to coil them off (insert a spring into the vessle, which will clot and shut off the collateral). Once they get a good picture of what McKenzie's heart and circulatory system are doing right now, they will confer and decide the next steps. We've been told to anticipate that they would use this cath to plan her full-fix surgery.
I have been an emotional roller coaster all day, waiting to hear whether they would go forward with the cath despite the week of vomitting. I want this to happen so that McKenzie can get well, but I don't want to think about what they have to do to her or the risks involved. This cath is the beginning of the next surgery and that scares me. All of the emotions from a year ago have returned, plus a lot more since I know McKenzie's personality now and we went through so much more than I planned on the last time. I'm afraid it will be another instance of weeks on the vent and months in the hospital, where her life will hang in the balance. I don't ever want to walk in a room again and hear doctors say they are losing her. I know she is a lot stronger now, but it doesn't stop the worries. So, I keep trying to tell myself that we just have to make it through the next couple of months, and then maybe McKenzie will start to REALLY get better.
Please keep our precious, precious baby in your thoughts tomorrow.
Mel
No comments:
Post a Comment