Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Posted Jul 1, 2008 6:44am

And, she eats!

My Aunt Liz and Uncle Ken saved us yesterday by getting the formula before our shipment will arrive. It was finally mailed late Monday night. McKenzie actually eats the formula. With everything else, she mouths the bottle and doesn't really suck. And fights against taking the formula down. She is so smart. She knows what makes her sick. But with this new amnio acid formula, she actually eats it. It makes me so happy! I don't even care that it costs over $40 for a 14 ounce can. (It also helps that I found out yesterday that insurance will cover it.)

So, McKenzie is now averaging between 11 and 14 ounces per day of 27 calorie formula, which is the equivalent of 15 to 19 ounces per day for a regular baby. It is not the 21 ounces per day she was getting on the feeding tube, but she is very happy and still chunky, so she must not be losing weight (I hope). We will find out tomorrow at her cardiologist appointment and then her regular checkup.

On another note, both Dale and I donated blood yesterday. As I've mentioned in a previous post, blood donors are extremely important. I can't even tell you how many blood transfusions McKenzie had while in the hospital. It all depended upon the kindness of strangers. In the summer, blood supplies get low because the normal blood drives are not held due to vacations. If you can donate, please try. You can go to the American Red Cross's website to find a blood drive near you at a time that is convenient. Plan on being there around 1.5 hours. The time is well worth it. I know many were interested in donating blood just for McKenzie. I don't know the specifics of doing so, but on the Red Cross site they say you just need to call them with the name of the patient and the hospital. We haven't tried it, so we can't be sure that is the "true" procedure. Even if you donate for the general population, it helps McKenzie. If the blood supply is high enough to save everyone, McKenzie will get the blood if she needs it. Let's hope she won't need it anymore!
Mel

PS
If your health dictates that you shouldn't donate blood, just pass this message on to those who can! Even if you can donate, please pass this message on. I think donating blood just slips people's minds. Thanks!

3 Message(s)


Posted Jul 2, 2008 2:56pm

What a sweetie pie!!
Hi guys,
I just love the new picture of McKenzie. I could just chew on those cheeks! I'm so happy to hear that the formula is working out. I will continue to remember you all in my prayers. Love, Aunt Teresa
PS- I tried to give blood Monday but it didn't work out. I'll start taking my iron and try again ASAP

Food_popsicle
Posted Jul 1, 2008 11:10am
Good News!
Glad to hear that everything worked out with the formula. And what a SCORE that your insurance pays for it! :)
Mackenzie will be getting lots of new "chub" now that you figured out her food situation. Chalk up another point on your "Good Parent Board!" You deserve it!
Good Luck,
The Lisa's (Traci, Vito & Cassidy)

Posted Jul 1, 2008 9:42am


The world is a funny place!
McKenzie and your family continue to be in my prayers & thoughts. I also share the updates with my mom in Wisconsin, who shares with a prayer group at her work. We wish you all the best! I just read this morning's post & had to smile. I gave blood yesterday, too. Jen (Holloway)

No comments:

Post a Comment