Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh, Those Pesky Lungs

Monday we saw Izzy's PCP, Stacy Richards. Dr. Richards listened to Izzy and decided that three doses of lasix and a dose of aldactone was not necessary to clear out the lungs. Izzy just sounded like Izzy getting over an illness---wheezing, icky lungs. So, we stopped the extra diruectics, bringing her down to two doses of lasix per day, and added three breathing treatments per day. On Tuesday, she did great. She ate better than she had since being home. She was happy and I wasn't hearing her breathe.

Smiling that big toothy grin while playing with her ball popper. May 10, 2009. (I call her my little vampire cause of the teeth coming in on the sides first.)
Then Wednesday came. She woke up breathing very hard, she wouldn't eat and she kept falling asleep. I knew she was getting sick. During her noon breathing treatment, she even turned blue for a little while. By evening, her nose was running. She had a cold. I wasn't too concerned, but decided to call Dr. Richards this morning to let her know what was going on and see if we needed to do anything further. I was shocked when she sent us to the ER. She wanted a chest x-ray stat to make sure stopping the lasix was the correct move.

We were there from 9:30 until 2:00 today. Izzy's left lung is partially down on the bottom and there is congestion in her upper lungs. Her sats were around 97 directly after the breathing treatment, but 91 1.5 hours later. The choice was to admit her or let her go home, the treatment being the same in both places---lots of CPT and breathing treatments. I voted for home and luckily, so did Dr. Richards. The ER resident wanted admission.

If she gets at all worse, we are to immediately go back to the ER and if she stays the same, we have to get in with Dr. Richards tomorrow or return to the ER. My overly worisome mom instinct is telling me we are only at the beginning of this cold and I don't see how she will be better by tomorrow (if not worse), so I'm guessing we will be back with the docs. Hopefully, Dr. Richards will see her rather than send us back to the ER. I don't want her admitted. She doesn't improve well in the hospital.
Please keep Izzy in your thoughts. She is starting to do so well. She is constantly happy (except the last 45 minutes in the ER which were during her nap time and she couldn't sleep). She is slowly working her way back to sitting up on her own again. She does it a couple of times a day. She is trying to crawl. Not more than one step (?) at a time, but she is starting to get mobile. She is making noises all of the time. She is saying mama now a ton and said dada for the first time since her surgery today. She can't be admitted to the hosptial again, it will set her back. Her lungs need to clear on their own at home!!!!!!!

Mel

 

11 Message(s)


Posted May 16, 2009 11:18am
i think the ball popper was one of the greatest toys ever invented. i used it in therapy all the time & now Lucia gets to enjoy it.

Posted May 15, 2009 8:06am
Oh....poor Izzy! I'm sorry to hear that she has come down with some sort of an icky cold! I hope you had a restful night and that things will look better for Izzy today!
Always in our many thoughts and prayers,
Stefenie, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan Jacks
cp: Loganbear

Posted May 14, 2009 9:10pm
it sounds like Izzy is making such nice progress developmentally. hopefully, her lungs will clear and this cold will be mild at best. susan

Posted May 14, 2009 6:32pm
Praying that things get better soon~
HEART HUGS & PRAYERS~
cp: josephmichaelhall

Posted May 14, 2009 5:35pm
Oh sweet girl! I will be praying she gets better very soon....and Im the type that says better safe then sorry and run to dr if it seems bad...take care of you too!

Baby_abcblocks
Posted May 14, 2009 4:55pm
Thank Goodness for the Mommy instinct to call the doctor in the first place! A lesson I recently learned with Audry, it's not always as simple as it seems. So, good for you!
I will certainly pray that Izzy beats this cold and quickly. That she is able to stay out of the hospital and can continue her "normal" baby progress at home.
Keep us posted on how she's doing.
Prayers Always,
Trisha
cp: JohnnysWay

Posted May 14, 2009 4:27pm
Goodness Izzy! Don't you know Mama isn't ready for gray hair yet? Don't worry. (Yeah right. Like that doesn't happen with heart kiddos.) We'll keep her in our prayers. Come on Izzy. You can do it!
Dorie
cp: MatthewNeuhaus

Food_orange
Posted May 14, 2009 4:17pm
We will pray that Izzy starts to impove and no hospital visits will be necessary. Love to you all. Uncle Ken & Aunt Liz

Posted May 14, 2009 4:13pm

Mel,
I will conitnue to keep Izzy in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.
Renee

Posted May 14, 2009 4:05pm
God bless you Izzy!

Posted May 14, 2009 3:44pm
wishing you only the best in these trying times!!! we know she'll be just fine given enough time to turn things around. all the best for all of you!!

Posted May 14, 2009 3:16pm
Praying that Izzy will improve quickly and that you all can stay at home and not have to go to the hospital. Keep on moving and talking Izzy !!!:-)
MawMaw Connie
cp: katietestement

No comments:

Post a Comment