Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Strong-Willed is an Understatement

McKenzie is doing very well. She is congested and wheezing slightly, but not enough to cause too much worry yet. She is getting more strong-willed by the day. Even though you can barely see the red in her hair any longer, she is definitely acting like the stereotypical redhead (or at least what I've been told my entire life). Each night as we clean up before bed, if we take a toy from her to put away, she screams at us. (Fat chance of us getting her to put it away!) This morning, she decided she wouldn't eat until Mommy held her. Before, she would only eat if she was in her bouncy seat feeding herself, she wanted the independence. She even made me hold the bottle today. (I have to say, I really liked that she wanted to cuddle. Izzy is not normally a cuddler.) If she happens to end up on her belly, she screams because that is not where she wants to be. Then, we help her get to all fours and she screams harder, even though she can get to sitting once she is on all fours. If we take a toy away that she shouldn't be playing with, she'll pick something else up and throw it in disgust. If this is how she is two weeks before she turns one, when she still doesn't have a lot of energy, I'm thinking Dale and I are going to be in a world of hurt the older she gets. I'm not even going to think about the teenage years when most girls become strong-willed!

On the surgery front, we are still in a holding pattern, waiting for our appointment with Doctor Walters a week from Thursday. It is driving the anal-retentive planner in me crazy because I don't know what is going to happen. I'm not patient either, so this has been difficult. Luckily, Izzy is doing well. She is blue a lot. She wakes up every morning with blue lips, hands, and feet, but not crazy blue. And the best part is that her eyes have filled out again (for the most part). The wonders of actually eating. She doesn't look sick any more.

Please keep Izzy in your thoughts as we try to keep her healthy until her surgery, whenever that is.
Mel

10 Message(s)


Posted Mar 13, 2009 4:38pm
Thanks for the update Melonie. We will keep you and especially Izzy in our thoughts and prayers.
Robert and Bonnie Russie

Posted Mar 6, 2009 9:46pm
Hi Mel,
McKenzie is always in our thoughts and prayers as are all of you! It's wonderful to hear some of the fun stuff that she is doing, we're so glad that she is feeling well and we continually pray for your strength. This will all be a memory one day, hopefully soon!! You're doing so well...hang in there!!
Love, Aunt Char & everyone else :o)

Posted Mar 6, 2009 7:55pm
Tough stuff. That's a good thing. Cassidy is very headstrong too. I heard we should watch out for our little Scorpio's "firey temper" Uh oh!

Smiles6
Posted Mar 4, 2009 5:21pm
I too have a very independent little girl. She just turned two and runs this place. I don't know how much trouble I'm in with our little Johnny on the way. But Audry refused to be spoon feed at 7 mos because she had to feed herself! She's long out of a crib and highchair preferring to be like big sissy in every way. And don't even think of picking out her clothes for her!! Not a fight worth having. But so much of this fighting personality is just what your Izzy needs. All I can say is Good Luck and "Calgon, Take Me Away"!!
Best wishes for good health and we'll be praying for you all.
Trisha
cp: JohnnysWay

Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:56am
Melonie and Dale, you (and especially McKenzie) are in our thoughts and prayers!
Robert and Bonnie Russie

Set1_rose
Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:40am
It sounds like Izzy's personality is shining through. Good for her!! The world needs assertive women.
Love, June, David and Kristen

Set1_rose
Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:40am
It sounds like Izzy's personality is shining through. Good for her!! The world needs assertive women.
Love, June, David and Kristen

Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:17am
sounds like she's a tad strong willed already!! but that's ok, she's sounding very normal and that's really good too!!

Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:08am
Always!

Posted Mar 4, 2009 9:05am
I have always said... us heart kids are stubborn and determined. My grandfather said that right after my first surgery. I'll be thinking about her as you head in for more surgery. KJ (34 tricuspid atresia, pulomonary stenosis) cp: kjware74

No comments:

Post a Comment