McKenzie was evaluated by the Early On intervention program this
afternoon and she was accepted. The program is funded through the
state, county, and school district, and McKenzie will be working
with the special education teachers and therapists at the Royal Oak
schools. Once we get all of the paperwork for the schools, McKenzie
can begin going to class. That will be Tuesdays and Fridays for an
hour each day.
The assessment of McKenzie was pretty much what I expected. She is physically developementally behind. I was surprised to learn that her gross motor skills are at the level of a one month old. Her fine motor skills were further along. She has definite problems with her right arm and the right-side of her neck because she still looks to the left most frequently. That is a relic from her open-heart surgery when they placed the central line in her neck and clamped it in place with a large plastic piece. The physical therapist already gave us tips to help work on that.
The speech therapist noticed some classic signs of DiGeorge's Syndrome with McKenzie, including probable soft palate problems. That is one of the most common problems for DiGeorge kids, even moreso than the heart problems. She also said it common for kids with soft palate problems to have eating issues, much like McKenzie.
I'm excited that McKenzie will be getting the help she needs, but we've just added two more 1-hour appointments each week. I guess I will be working very late into the nights on Tuesdays and Fridays. The teachers said she will probably be able to get into an 8:15 class. It is worth it!
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Mel
PS
There are a couple of new pics.
The assessment of McKenzie was pretty much what I expected. She is physically developementally behind. I was surprised to learn that her gross motor skills are at the level of a one month old. Her fine motor skills were further along. She has definite problems with her right arm and the right-side of her neck because she still looks to the left most frequently. That is a relic from her open-heart surgery when they placed the central line in her neck and clamped it in place with a large plastic piece. The physical therapist already gave us tips to help work on that.
The speech therapist noticed some classic signs of DiGeorge's Syndrome with McKenzie, including probable soft palate problems. That is one of the most common problems for DiGeorge kids, even moreso than the heart problems. She also said it common for kids with soft palate problems to have eating issues, much like McKenzie.
I'm excited that McKenzie will be getting the help she needs, but we've just added two more 1-hour appointments each week. I guess I will be working very late into the nights on Tuesdays and Fridays. The teachers said she will probably be able to get into an 8:15 class. It is worth it!
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Mel
PS
There are a couple of new pics.
![]() |
| Playing. August 31, 2008. |
![]() |
| Smiley girl. September 1, 2008. |


No comments:
Post a Comment