Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

What a Week!

I don't really know where to begin with this post other than to say OH MY!!!!!! If you will recall, I think I posted last that we have started to associate Izzy's stomach pain and vomiting with her level of overall exhaustion. Well, last week tipped her completely over the edge!

Two Fridays ago was the fun run at school. While Izzy was pushed in her wheel chair during the event, she decided to run a lap at the very end (the really and truly end as all of the kids were heading for snack before going to back to class). She had a ton of fun and smiled big, but it took a lot out of her.



fun run (2)

Saturday she rested for the most part and got her army. Sunday was the Congenital Heart Walk! Again, we pushed Izzy in her wheelchair at the Walk, but the excitement of friends and the heart community gathering and just the fun of everything was so overwhelming for her. It really tired her out.

heart walk

heart walk 2

IMG_20140928_121344_030

By Monday morning, Izzy was already in pain. I had to give her morphine before school. She complained of pain throughout the day at school, didn't go to recess and instead chose to rest. Never a good sign for a Monday. Then that night, Phin had to see the doctor for a cough and they didn't get home for dinner until bed time! Needless to say, she got less sleep than normal (about 10 hours instead of 11). 
 
Tuesday, Izzy felt worse. I had to give her two doses of morphine before school. She went to the office more and was just miserable.

Wednesday, she spent about half of the day in and out of the clinic at school because she was in so much pain and couldn't concentrate. She wasn't eating anything; barely drinking. Dale left early to pick her up. Despite the great pain Izzy was in, she was even more angry that Dale picked her up from school. She did not want to leave!

Thursday, even though she had rested more the day before, she ate nothing in the morning (note the picture of the many things I made for her for breakfast that she didn't eat). Again, Izzy had a couple of doses of morphine to no real benefit. She again went to the clinic for most of the day with tons of pain and was sent home even earlier. She had to miss dance class.

IMG_20141002_081116_367-1

Friday, she stayed home with Dale in hopes that rest would help her improve. She was simply miserable.

IMG_20141003_080350_964

Izzy's hospice nurse came out to the house first thing in the morning and suggested we go up on the morphine to try to find a good dosage. Dale spent the day upping and upping morphine in hopes that the pain would be eased, so Izzy would drink and eat again. She didn't drink or eat much though and we didn't find a good morphine level. Izzy did get a lot of rest that day.

IMG_20141003_144028_780

Saturday began okay. Izzy woke fairly early, but considering she napped the day before, we were okay with it. She didn't eat or drink much, but she wasn't complaining of too much either. She and I played games and had fun.

IMG_20141004_094648_339

IMG_20141004_114115_106

Izzy didn't eat very much lunch, but was interested in eating chocolate kisses. I gave her small pieces of apple dipped in caramel (lots of fat) and made her eat those to get chocolate kisses. Over a period of 30 minutes, she ate those and seemed to be doing well.

IMG_20141004_135624_057

Then, she overdid it with Mike & Ikes and vomited. The rest is a horrible, horrible history.

IMG_20141004_151558_870

Izzy vomited several more times before bed that night, including all of her meds. Her oxygen saturations (sats) fell below 90 at one point, so I had to put her oxygen on. I gave her morphine several times. She was weepy and sad and so, so angry. She would scream one second and cry the next. Nothing I could say or do was right. She was in complete and utter misery. Saturday night, she went to sleep around 7:00 (per the norm), but it wasn't restful. She was making noise frequently. I measured her sats around 11:00 pm and all was good--100% oxygen on 2 liters of oxygen with heart rate of 73. Around 3:15am, Izzy woke screaming and said she had to vomit. She couldn't, but was shivering like a leaf suddenly and uncontrollably, but no windows were open and the house was not cold. I checked her sats and she was at 82% oxygen without her oxygen on (not good). She fell asleep immediately, then woke 20 minutes later, vomiting what looked like pink mucus (also not good and not normal). She was shivering, but not feverish.

She woke up with bloody vomit every hour on the hour until 7:00 a.m., then slept until 10:00 a.m. We worked very hard to drink throughout the day and stay away from the ER because of the illnesses present there. She was so weak. I can't imagine what a virus would do to her. Thankfully, she listened to reason and drank.

IMG_20141005_100439_033

This is Izzy's note, including the bottom line: "I am sick". It breaks my heart.

IMG_20141005_103244_843

I took this picture to show Izzy how bad she looked, so she would drink. It worked more than anything else I had done.

IMG_20141005_111407_799

Izzy did not eat on Sunday. She hadn't had a real Izzy meal since Tuesday. She is looking thin. She begged us to let her go to school today, but we just couldn't. Instead, she stayed home with Dale again today.

IMG_20141006_081134_113

He reasoned with her all day; trying to convince her to drink and eat. He tried to continue upping the morphine to find a level that stopped the pain. Nothing worked. 
 
What is so frustrating is that Izzy wants to eat. She asks for her favorite foods; takes a bits; and is full immediately. She is just frustrated as we are. And she so emotional due to lack of energy and feeling her own mortality acutely. And the nightmares have been so bad. My happy, smilely girl is barely there. She told us tonight that she doesn't like laughing at the dinner table. That is not our girl. It is devastating.

It is also extraordinarily scary. Thankfully, it scared a new plan out of the doctors. Apparently, not keeping down heart meds for several days will make the cardiologist try something new. Izzy was started on a new med that was described as useful in treating stomach migraines. The cardiologist prescribed it in consultation with the gastroenterologist. The working theory is that Izzy's pain is caused by lack of blood flow to the gut due to heart failure. This medicine should decrease the pain and increase blood flow to the gut.

Izzy was first given the new med this afternoon after a horrible car ride to the pharmacy to pick it up. Needless to say, the medicine was lost within seconds of giving it. So an hour later, we gave it again. Izzy ate dinner. She had dessert. She took all of her evening meds. She hasn't vomited yet. We don't know if this is just a fluke or if it will really help. But we need it to help.

We will also be doing more for Izzy at school to help her rest throughout the day. She will be using the wheelchair to move between class and lunchroom, to go to specials, etc. She will take a nap after lunch. We need all of this to work. She won't last much longer at the rate she has been going over the last week. It has been a horrifying glimpse of what may be coming soon.

IMG_20140925_192654_346-1~2

Thank you for thinking of our girl. 

Mel

35 Message(s) from carepages

Posted Oct 23, 2014 3:36pm
by Renee McConahy
Hi Mel I want to drop a book by to Izzy. I found this book a Year ago and can't believe I still have not given it to her. I suppose I could mail it but I would love to have a quick visit with you if possible. I have your address. When would be convenient? I know life is precarious from day to day, heck from moment to moment, so no worries if this does not seem realistic to do.

Posted Oct 10, 2014 7:11pm
by Teresa Falzarano
I am always praying for your sweet girl and the whole family. XXOO
Aunt Teresa

Posted Oct 7, 2014 11:04pm
by Kathleen Angeli-Voyt
Holding all of you close in thought and prayer. Hugs from Jaclyn and Julia, too!

Posted Oct 7, 2014 6:28pm
by Maureen O
Please let us know how the new medicine is working for Izzy, and the new plan, if she is better. Much love sent your way and prayers. Thanks, Maureen

Posted Oct 7, 2014 4:23pm
by Shirley Stothers
Our sweet little Izzy, hugs and kisses to our brave grandaughter. We love you
Pray that your new medicine works quickly and you can eat everything you want.
Our hearts go out to the whole family, in our thoughts and prayers

Posted Oct 7, 2014 3:59pm
by Amy St.Clair
We are always thinking of Izzy and praying for your entire family. I wish I could ease this for all of you.
Many heart hugs for all,
Amy St.Clair

Posted Oct 7, 2014 3:52pm
by Janeen Greathouse
Prayers are with all of you!!

Heart1
Posted Oct 7, 2014 3:13pm
by Kristy Taxson
OH I pray and pray and pray that these meds will help little Izzy! My heart goes out to you all!!! <3

Set1_rose
Posted Oct 7, 2014 2:31pm
by June Spriggs
wishing I had a magic wand to wave and make sure the new medication is what Izzy needs. Please know that love surrounds you all.
June & David

Encourage_hug
Posted Oct 7, 2014 11:52am
by Melody Vandee
Praying for your sweet and brave little girl and her family! Hoping the med change will help Miss Izzy to feel better and be able to eat without the pain and vomitting. I love seeing her beautiful little smile. Hugs to all of you as you walk this painful journey. May God help carry you throught these aweful days. I am so saddened that any child has to endure this. My heart aches for all of you. God Bless!

Posted Oct 7, 2014 11:05am
by Mandy Welsh
I am so sorry your family is going through this hell. I pray for peace and strength in Jesus' mighty name!! Big hugs!!!!

Posted Oct 7, 2014 9:59am
by Linda Koss
Bless her sweet little heart!! Keeping you all in my prayers ...

Encourage_boxing
Posted Oct 7, 2014 9:36am
by Holly Smith
I can't imagine how frustrating, terrifying, and exhausting this must be for ALL of you. Here's hoping this new med does the trick, and Izzy can get back to enjoying a burrito-based diet soon! Hang in there.
Holly
cp: EliesPage

Posted Oct 7, 2014 9:26am
by Wendy Miller
Praying the new meds help!

Encourage_hug
Posted Oct 7, 2014 9:11am
by Andrea Nicholson
I am glad I logged on here to catch up on how she has been the past few weeks. Hopefully the new meds will help and she will feel better and stronger. You and Dale are amazing. You are so blessed with this beautiful, unbelievably strong daughter and such a sweet, loving son. I love that you truly take time to enjoy each moment. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Posted Oct 7, 2014 9:02am
by Heather Brown
Prayers, sweet girl <3

Posted Oct 7, 2014 8:43am
by susan wit
hoping the meds bring some relief for Izzy , really for all of you.

Posted Oct 7, 2014 8:23am
by Laurie Couillard
Oh Mel, Dale and Phin, we are so sorry to hear of this horrible week you all have had...especially little Izzy. How scary, I can not imagine. Holding you all close in our hearts and in our prayers. Sending Miss Izzy and all of you big hugs!

Posted Oct 7, 2014 6:05am
by Erica Fonck
Praying new meds work, we know it will. Sending love and strength!

Posted Oct 6, 2014 11:14pm
by Stefenie Jacks
Sending lots of love your way. Praying the new med and other changes help Izzy. I think of you all often and pray you get more time together as a family. (((Hug)))

Posted Oct 6, 2014 10:41pm
by Jennifer Abler
Love to you...all of you. My heart aches, too. I wish a good week for you all.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 10:34pm
by Amy Fleck
what a horrible, scary week for you all. :( I hope this new plan is what Izzy needs.
Thinking of you... xoxo

Posted Oct 6, 2014 10:25pm
by Darcy Garrett
I'm thinking of you all :(

Posted Oct 6, 2014 10:09pm
by Monica & Peyton Kirk
Reading this is just heart breaking. Saying lots of prayers for you all tonight.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:51pm
by Natalia Hernandez
This breaks my heart reading this . There is nothing pretty about chd. I hate it and I hate how helpless we are. Thinking of izzy and her family always.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:50pm
by Lauren LaLonde
My heart and my prayers go out to you and your family....I am so sorry to hear your struggles, you are so strong and she is so brave! Hoping she keeps things down and gets some energy back. Lauren

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:48pm
by Jennifer Marvin
Sending you tons of prayers for beautiful Izzy and hugs for you all.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:32pm
by Terri Maxim
this is all so scary. so sorry you are all going through this. prayers for the new meds to work and help Izzy to feel better and eat and gain strength. You are all so amazing.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:31pm
by Trisha Leonard
Praying for your brave little girl, praying that the med works for her, and praying your for you all.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:28pm
by Sara Duda
You all are in my heart and thoughts. Sending lots of prayers your way

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:28pm
by Bridgette Rosek
You are so strong to deal with all of this. I hope the new med can bring back you happy little girl, will be thinking of her and praying for her health. If there is ever anything i can do please let me know.

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:19pm
by Melissa DeLuka
We are thinking of you and Dale and Phin too! Love, Melissa

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:18pm
by kellie brisson
I am heart broken, i can't even imagine what you, Dale and Phin are going though. Izzy is a brite spot to many many people. Kena has been very worried. We will say many prayers for the new meds to work. If at any time Izzy wants to have company, you call me and I will bring Kena over. And if YOU need anything let me know.
Kellie

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:17pm
by Cindy Taylor
Wow. I'm speechless, except to say that you all, especially Izzy, are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers.
Love you,
Cindy

Posted Oct 6, 2014 9:14pm
by Noelle Livingston
Oh...I'm just so sad for all of you! I'm hoping like crazy that this new med will work!!! Keeping you all in my thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment