Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Stupid Medicine!

We've had another week. It can be summed up in a direct Izzy quote: "STUPID MEDICINE!" Mind you, saying "stupid" is cursing for Izzy, so her yelling this phrase at the top of her lungs should give you a feel for what we are dealing with.

Let me back up a little though.

Izzy did make it to school two days in a row last week--Wednesday as I last wrote about and Thursday. Thursday night, however, was the beginning of new horrific saga in the tummy wars.

The abdominal migraines do seem to be controlled with the new medicine--cyproheptadine. But as of Thursday night, they have brought a side effect or at least set into motion a new problem--esophageal spasms. Basically, Izzy's esophagus is clinching up, like a charlie horse. This pain is lasting hours and hours. Of course, Dale and I didn't figure it out Thursday night and Izzy didn't sleep at all. Neither did Dale or I. So, Friday Izzy stayed home to rest. But she was really fine during the day.

01

Friday night, same thing happened, but I figured it out. So, at 1:00 a.m., we gave Izzy a hot bath to help calm the spasm and she was able to sleep long enough and well enough to go to the Parade Company with her girl scout troop.

02

Saturday night she again needed a bath in the middle of sleep to calm the spasm. I began researching other methods to calm the spasm to make it through to Monday when we could call the doctors' offices. We ended up raising the head of Izzy's bed Sunday night. That night and the next she did not appear to have spasms or at least not as bad. She did scream out in the middle of each night, but not enough to tell us what was going on (just enough to get Dale and I out of bed and freaking out).
Izzy was rested enough to go to school on Monday and Tuesday and was well enough to celebrate her Daddy's birthday and decorate for Halloween. She took an hour nap at school both days.

03

04

05

06

Last night, even with the head of Izzy's bed elevated, the spasm came back in full force. Izzy needed a hot bath around 11:00 p.m. (several hours after going to sleep). Needless to say, Izzy took another long, long nap at school today. 
 
Finally, her GI doc got back to us. He has prescribed oral budesonide, a steroid. Izzy already takes budesonide twice a day in a nebulized fashion (pulmicort). The idea behind the oral budesonide is to coat Izzy's esophagus and prevent the spasms. Unfortunately, this puts a huge kink in Izzy's bedtime routine that has been in place for almost her entire life. In order to coat Izzy's esophagus, she must take the budesonide and not drink anything for several hours after. Izzy always takes a drink of water after her medicines AND she always, always has a glass of water at her bedside in the night because she takes lasix (a diuretic) at bed time. When we had to tell her she could not have water by bed for the first three hours of the night, she cried. Izzy never cries over medicines, but she cried over this. She did agree to logic and knew she'd rather give up water for three hours than have the pain, but she was still upset at the whole situation.

What's worse is the medicine tastes horrible! Izzy cried and cried after I gave it to her. She even licked her arm to try and get the taste out of her mouth. She screamed "STUPID MEDICINE!!!" over and over and punched one of her stuffed animals to try and get the anger out. When she had moved onto sadness, she looked at me and asked if this was a medicine she was going to be able to stop. Of course, I couldn't tell her yes. And she even more sad.

We will be trying to add flavoring to make the budesonide taste better, but I'm not holding out much hope. On top of all of that, this medicine increases the likelihood of yeast infections and Izzy is constantly battling those already. It seems like a no win situation, but will hopefully, end her excruciating pain.

I hate medicine! I hate that my sweet girl needs to regularly take 19 medicines. I hate it all!

I love this beautiful pink princess though.

Mel

07

 

16 Message(s) from carepages

Posted Oct 21, 2014 12:47am
by Paula Kast
What an amazing girl she is, and what an incredible family!
Sending love and prayers to you all.
Thanks for posting the adorable pictures.
Love,
Paula and the JK Believe in Miracles family

Posted Oct 18, 2014 10:35pm
by Marti VanRavenswaay
Dear Beautiful Princess,
You are such an amazing little girl! You are so strong and so brave. And you have such a sweet smile! You can even find a way to smile when you really don't feel like it! And even when you have to take some really yukky tasting medicines! Not very many princesses — in fact I'm pretty sure NO other princess has a smile as captivating as you do! And no other princess that I know has to take such really yukky medicine every single day! And you take it even when it tastes soooooo bad because you know if will help you feel better! Only a very very brave princess could do that! Little Princess, you have such amazing parents and such an amazing big brother who love you so very very much. They know that sometimes you just really feel rotten and yet you are so very brave, you help them feel better when they worry about you! They know they are very lucky to have a real princess, a really REALLY brave and beautiful princess living with them!

Posted Oct 17, 2014 10:46am
by Laurie Couillard
Sending you all lots of hugs and prayers. Love the "red nosed family." LOL

Set1_rose
Posted Oct 17, 2014 1:07am
by June Spriggs
It is amazing how no matter what comes along Izzy and all of you find a way to deal with it as best as can be done and manage to keep as much regular family life going as possible! Here is hoping the medicine can be made to taste better. A small thing and a huge thing at the same time. Love, June & David

Posted Oct 16, 2014 8:40pm
by Rick McKenzie
I am so sorry you guys are having to go through all of this. But what a pretty princess. I love you all. Ma

Encourage_hug
Posted Oct 16, 2014 5:54pm
by Melody Vandee
I agree with Izzy..."Stupid Medicine" Hope you are feeling better soon,Izzy! You look so beautiful in your pink dress... just like a Princess,but that guy on the bench is SCARY! Is that Phin????

Posted Oct 16, 2014 12:27pm
by Liz Munroe
Hugs....

Posted Oct 16, 2014 6:16am
by Terri Maxim
first of all, love the dress,you are so beautiful and so strong, Izzy.
Second, I hate that you have to take that stupid medicine too. Your Mom and Dad are working hard to help you with the pain and they are amazing. I'm sure you know that. If anyone can make that medicine taste better it will be them. I will be praying hard for that to happen. In the meantime, please know that we are praying for better days and nights for all of you. Love the Halloween pictures, but I was a bit scared of the scary guy you were sitting next too. Again, very brave girl...........

Posted Oct 16, 2014 1:07am
by Nicole Hoagland
She is an amazingly strong beautiful sweet princess!!!! And pink who doesn't love pink!!!! You guys are amazing and she's so lucky to have you for her mom. My heart breaks over the medicine. We went through this once. I finally asked the dr if we could give our daughter 1 squirt of a mouth freshener spray. I forget what it's called. Anyway they allowed us to try it and it didn't affect her medicine and we literally did 1 single squirt! Worth a question or try one night maybe. Hang in there and heart hugs to you all. Nicole - Mom of Lorelei (HLHS, strokes, CP, epilepsy)

Posted Oct 15, 2014 11:24pm
by Shirley Stothers
izzy we are so sad that you take that medicine that has no flavor. I wish it
would taste like your favorite ice cream. Sleep better, you are such a strong
young lady..love that pink dress. Where did you get all the red noses, what a great family picture. Love and prayers to all, papa and grandma

Babyg_balloons
Posted Oct 15, 2014 10:02pm
by Margaret Silver
Izzy--You look like a Princess in that beautiful pink dress. Does it come in big girl sizes too? I would love to have such a special outfit.
I hope you have better nights, and Mommy figures out how to make the medicine taste better.

Posted Oct 15, 2014 9:48pm
by Kathleen Angeli-Voyt
I love this pic of your precious pink princess too! The phot of your clown nosed family is sweet too. I am impressed Izzy is so brave to sit next to the scarey skeleton (her grin is priceless). Know the girls and I hold all of you close in our daily thoughts and prayers.

Posted Oct 15, 2014 9:13pm
by Jean Hammond
Private message
I love izzy so much! Know about the yeast problem myself and find that acidophilus in high dose can control it. When I was in practice as aPNP I would order Bacid capsules that mom's could open up and mix with food. It might be worth a shot! Prayers for Izzy and family.

Posted Oct 15, 2014 9:04pm
by Jenn Paprocki
Sweet Izzy. I hope you have a better night. Thinking of you Melonie!

Posted Oct 15, 2014 9:02pm
by Kelly Curtis
I'm so sorry that she is still in so much pain. I hate that for her and for all of you. I hope that the medicine helps and that the flavoring makes it all a little easier.
Hugs,
Kelly

Posted Oct 15, 2014 8:57pm
by Sallyjo Levine
and the beat goes on...and on....and on...hoping that they can get things under control and make her a little more comfortable,,,poor sweet little Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment