Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

August 2013

Another month; more memories. Thankfully, Izzy made it through the entire summer only needing 2 shots of antibiotics (1 day, but 2 shots to kill a nasty ear infection). And the only time she saw her cardiologist was at the Heroes Hurrah following the Wish-A-Mile 300 mile bike ride for Make-A-Wish Michigan. She may not make 6 months between cardiology visits after a trip to the ER yesterday, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I like to take these posts in chronological order as this is a record for me as much as it is an update for all of you.

Our last post ended with Izzy having bronchitis, but still permitted to attend the Heroes Hurrah. It was a wonderful day, but cold and rainy. It didn't matter though because the kids had a blast! When we checked in, they gave Izzy a hero's cape and medal. They also gave her one of the bracelets with her named embroidered in it. All of the riders on her team wore one during the ride to give them an extra push to continue. Izzy felt like a HERO when the medal was placed over her head!

Shortly thereafter, they had all of the wish heroes (former wish kids) gather together for a photograph to thank the riders. As Izzy waited for the other kids, we asked her to show us her hero pose:





Darth Vadar was there! Phin loves, loves, loves Darth Vadar.





There was face painting.





That was Izzy with the wonderful volunteer who painted her face.



Of course, Izzy cheered on the bikers as they crossed the finish line!

And she was able to put a medal on one of her team's riders!(Unfortunately, it got to be too late and Izzy got to be too exhausted (she did have bronchitis), so we had to leave before the rest of the team came in to get their medals. We're very sorry we missed you, Carol!)





Finally, Izzy did get to see her cardiologist. That was the moment Izzy was waiting for!



It was most definitely a GOOD day!


That brought us into August and lots of parties and several missing teeth! (Phin lost the teeth, not Izzy.)



First one tooth, then the other!




We had lots of fun in August. Here is a smattering of pictures starting with Izzy as a soldier.





Nurse Izzy ready to conduct a procedure.

And for those of you who think Izzy only ever smiles in pictures: 
 






Wearing her super hero hat.





Here is Izzy giving me love. She declared this morning that she is "Love Izzy". How cute is that!



Here she is wearing her new favorite color.



Don't worry. She'll still be covered in pink and purple as well. She just added turquoise to her wardrobe!

The most important part of August was Phineas's Return of the Jedi 7th Birthday Party!



This fantastic cake was donated by a local baker through Icing Smiles! Not only did it look amazing, it tasted great!



Icing Smiles donates cakes to kids with life threatening illnesses and their siblings. If you've been following us a while, you'll remember the fabulous butterfly cake that was donated for Izzy's 4th birthday.



The evening was filled with fun, light saber battles, and ended with s'mores around a campfire.



The fun continued right through Phin's actual birthday.








We have also spent the month taking care of business. Lots of doctors appointments per the norm. Visits from the hospice nurse and social worker. One of our favorite activities this month was making hearts with our family's hand prints to show the invisible strings that keep us together.


Yes, there are five hand prints. The heart on the right has two Izzy prints because that is what she wanted. The book "The Invisible String" has helped the kids in quelling some of their fears.
 As I mentioned above, Izzy had a nasty ear infection. Unfortunately, the patcher "hid" the infection from the ENT. Even though we KNEW it was there, they didn't believe us. A week after we first took her in to the doc for an ear infection, it had gotten so bad that she was literally screaming in pain. So, for 3 Fridays in a row, Izzy saw ear doctors! Yet, it was the primary care doctor who actually cleared up the infection. (LOVE HER!)

Izzy continues to receive her weekly doses of hizentra (immunoglobulin infusions). After a year and a half of being poked by small needles weekly, she has finally learned to stay calm and not fight us. For the last couple of weeks, she has realized that it doesn't hurt nearly as much if she cooperates completely. I think she is actually growing up!

This last week, was vacation with cousins! Izzy and Phin had been dreaming of vacation all summer. It was a great week. My family rented a house in Good Hart within walking distance to a beach on Lake Michigan and with plenty of room for the kids to run around and have fun.







She's frowning because she's in jail and I was taking her picture and not rescuing her!
 



There was a lot of down time as well.









Can you tell she was a monster baby in that picture? Below was 10 minutes later; she had grown into the Princess of Dark. (They were playing Super Mario and Phin was Bowser and Izzy his baby.)



Izzy drew her and I having fun together.



We were also within walking distance of ice cream!



It was a great trip. Relaxing and fun. We did have a couple of days where Izzy overdid the activity and had to wear oxygen and stop playing all together. But it wasn't anything too alarming. Yesterday, however, half an hour into our trip home, Izzy vomited (we were at the gas station, so the car was stopped). After cleaning her up, we got on our way again. 15 minutes later, she vomited again. When she was done and we were on the road again, she started complaining of pain in her upper right arm. She was sweaty while the rest of us were not. She also said she was dizzy and was having pain in upper abdomen (not quite the chest). Needless to say, I was concerned of a heart attack. The nearest hospital was 30 miles away, so we drove. 15 minutes into the drive, Izzy returned to normal. The pain left, her color returned, and she said she felt fine. We still went to the ER.




After ordering blood work, x-rays, urine analysis, and EKG, and comparing the EKG to Izzy's last EKG, the ER doc did not see anything that looked like a heart attack. The damage seemed consistent with the chronic damage that has already been noted. He couldn't be sure though because of how damaged Izzy's heart and lungs already were, so we have to contact Dr. Cutler and follow up (which means we probably won't make it 6 months between visits as planned). Izzy NEVER makes it to her actual appointment. The ER doc's best guess was tachycardia.
 The most important thing for Izzy though, is KINDERGARTEN! She has been literally counting down the days.


In two short days, Izzy will be a kindergartener. I never thought this day could come, yet here it is!
Mel


* * * * *

17 Message(s) from carepages


Posted Sep 6, 2013 5:57pm
So glad you are all having an amazing summer! You will all continue to be in my prayers and my heart!

Posted Sep 3, 2013 4:04pm
So bummed that I missed you at Hero's Hurrah! Think of you often, Izzy! Enjoy Kindergarten! Merry from MAW

Heart8Posted Sep 2, 2013 6:36pm
It's so nice to see Izzy is enjoying her summer! She looks so happy and well. I'm sorry about the ER visit, though, that does not sound fun....I also experience tachycardia (SVT) and I know if sure can make you feel sick. But once its gone you feel better! Be well Izzy, have fun in Kindergarten!

Posted Sep 2, 2013 2:19pm
WOW, what a summer! I'm so glad y'all were able to enjoy it--especially Izzy :) It is apparent the two children absolutely adore each other! Thank you for the post and the pics--so many smiles, and they are so contageous :)
Blessings,
Cindy

Encourage_hugPosted Sep 2, 2013 11:53am
What a funfilled summer for all of you! The pictures were all really great! Happy Birthday to Phin...loved your awesome cake and the toothless smiles! Precious pictures of Izzy, Phin,and all of you having fun! I'm glad the trip to the ER turned out ok. Wow,kindergarten is here for Miss Izzy! Have fun and enjoy it! Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures and Izzy's story with all of us! May God bless each of you!
 
 
Posted Sep 1, 2013 9:35pm
I LOVE that your vacation was in a ace called Good Hart! What a fabulous month of memories and good times! You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers and heart! So excited for her to go to school! I've spent 35 years of my life in school and kindergarten is still my very favorite - I hope she loves it too!

Heart8Posted Sep 1, 2013 9:26pm
What a beautiful story---thank you for sharing!

Posted Sep 1, 2013 8:27pm
Private message
Mel,
I am so in awe of your family's courage and Izzy's precious spirit. I still would like to try to visit Izzy. I am sorry that the summer has come and gone as I had hoped to see her before school started for her. You let me know when would be a good time. Thank you for sharing your incredible journey. Renee

Posted Sep 1, 2013 7:27pm
I am so glad that Izzy had a good time at heros hurrah. I am sorry I missed her. Had to wait out a heavy rain. Izzy's spirit was with me and I pedaled every one of those 300 miles thinking if izzy can do it, than I will not whine about being cold and wet and riding against 30 mile an hour winds. I loved it. Thanks for letting Izzy be my hero!!

Posted Sep 1, 2013 7:12pm
what wonderful pictures and stories of fun times. Sorry to hear about the scare and the trip to the ER. Will be praying for sure about that. Can't wait to hear all about Kindergarten with pictures I hope. Both of the children look like they are having tons of fun. You are an amazing family, Mel.
Blessings to all of you.

Posted Sep 1, 2013 6:57pm
Beautiful pictures!

Baby_abcblocksPosted Sep 1, 2013 5:39pm
Way to always keep Mom and Dad on their toes, Izzy! :0)
I can't wait to hear about kindergarten!
Holly
cp: EliesPage

Posted Sep 1, 2013 4:19pm
Great pictures. I know you will have fun in Kindergarten.
MoMo Connie
fb: Katie's Heart Journey

Posted Sep 1, 2013 3:35pm
omg- The pictures are super. I am glad she is feeling better after that trip to the ER. Can't wait to see her pics from her FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL..Love, Elaine

Posted Sep 1, 2013 3:23pm
Great pictures. Best thoughts for Izzy and your entire family. Hope she has a great first few days of Kindergarten! Can't wait to read all about it!
Kelly
cp: JacksHeartUpdate

Kids_handprintsPosted Sep 1, 2013 3:12pm
YAY for kindergarten! So glad to hear she is doing better and ready for her big day in Kindergarten!! She'll just LOVE it!

Set1_bflyredPosted Sep 1, 2013 2:12pm
Izzy is becoming such a big girl. Take lots of pictures, give lots of hugs and kisses, and congratulations on becoming a Kindergartener!

No comments:

Post a Comment