On this day five years ago, we went through our routines as a
family of three for the last time. An almost 19 month old Phineas
helped me off the couch before we carried him to bed. We read to
him and hugged him tight, knowing that when he awoke to Ma the next
morning, his life would never be the same. I spent the evening
finalizing all of my plans because I KNEW I'd be busy as soon as
our little McKenzie Rose was born. I prepared Phinney's food and
put notes everywhere so everyone would know exactly what he needed
and tried so hard not to think about anything except my sweet girl.
I didn't want to think of surgery or cleft palates or schizophrenia
(all things that consumed me when I was pregnant--the scariest
aspects of the 22q deletion to me at the time.) I went about life
that evening thinking we would have a lot of time at the hospital,
but it would just be time spent split between two babies. I was
still naive enough to think heart surgery, even on babies, was
routine, so I shouldn't be worried. I WAS worried, but I kept
telling myself it was silly to be worried.
And five years later, here we are, celebrating Izzy's birthday! We have come close to losing her on several occasions, but she is here and she is amazing! I want to thank you all for supporting us over the years and helping us get her this far. If it wasn't for the support of our friends, families, colleagues, the heart community, and all of you, we could not have survived and helped Izzy thrive. Thank you all. Thank you also for the extra support over the last couple of months. Knowing that so many people care for our girl has been such a blessing.
I have been beyond overwhelmed lately with the kindness and support we have received. We have had so many people brightening Izzy's day lately. Friends bringing presents and sending pictures and cards. This has to have been the best 5th birthday in the history of birthdays! Not only has Izzy received gifts from many friends and family, my dad's colleagues came together and gave Izzy the biggest set of pink gifts I have ever seen. I think you will agree with me when you see it, the generosity was overflowing and very humbling. (I guess it shouldn't surprise me though. It takes a very special group of people to work in hospice.) So, I'm sending this message out to everyone at Beaumont Hospice and those beyond because I'm guessing there is more than hospice, THANK YOU!
But before pictures from the big day, I did want to update that Izzy does need to have a small ear surgery. It will only be a temporary fix and will not take long, but it should help her hearing. While we were told initially that Izzy's borderline hearing loss was caused by the thickening of her ear drum, in fact, the problem remains the giant hole in Izzy's ear drum. Izzy's is missing half of her left ear drum. So, the ear surgery will insert a plug that will act as a temporary ear drum, but still allow fluid to escape. With that, Izzy should be able to hear better as long as the plug doesn't react to the ear the same way the tubes did by forcing itself out through a giant explosion of ear drum. Should that happen, Izzy will need a much more extensive surgery. (Let's hope that doesn't happen.)
And without further ado, I will share with you how spoiled little miss Izzy got today. She was delighted and had so much fun! I had so much fun! I hope everyone who shared in the with us had fun!
And five years later, here we are, celebrating Izzy's birthday! We have come close to losing her on several occasions, but she is here and she is amazing! I want to thank you all for supporting us over the years and helping us get her this far. If it wasn't for the support of our friends, families, colleagues, the heart community, and all of you, we could not have survived and helped Izzy thrive. Thank you all. Thank you also for the extra support over the last couple of months. Knowing that so many people care for our girl has been such a blessing.
I have been beyond overwhelmed lately with the kindness and support we have received. We have had so many people brightening Izzy's day lately. Friends bringing presents and sending pictures and cards. This has to have been the best 5th birthday in the history of birthdays! Not only has Izzy received gifts from many friends and family, my dad's colleagues came together and gave Izzy the biggest set of pink gifts I have ever seen. I think you will agree with me when you see it, the generosity was overflowing and very humbling. (I guess it shouldn't surprise me though. It takes a very special group of people to work in hospice.) So, I'm sending this message out to everyone at Beaumont Hospice and those beyond because I'm guessing there is more than hospice, THANK YOU!
But before pictures from the big day, I did want to update that Izzy does need to have a small ear surgery. It will only be a temporary fix and will not take long, but it should help her hearing. While we were told initially that Izzy's borderline hearing loss was caused by the thickening of her ear drum, in fact, the problem remains the giant hole in Izzy's ear drum. Izzy's is missing half of her left ear drum. So, the ear surgery will insert a plug that will act as a temporary ear drum, but still allow fluid to escape. With that, Izzy should be able to hear better as long as the plug doesn't react to the ear the same way the tubes did by forcing itself out through a giant explosion of ear drum. Should that happen, Izzy will need a much more extensive surgery. (Let's hope that doesn't happen.)
And without further ado, I will share with you how spoiled little miss Izzy got today. She was delighted and had so much fun! I had so much fun! I hope everyone who shared in the with us had fun!
This picture was taken last night
when we hid the packages from the Beaumont in my office so Izzy
wouldn't see them until the party!

I greeted Izzy this morning with her "Birthday Girl" crown and she lit up with the biggest smile. I tried to capture it. This is close.

This morning, Phinney asked if he could give one of the gifts he got for Izzy to her as soon as they got up. I knew she would be overwhelmed at the party, so we let him.

The party was Pinkalicious--Izzy's favorite book series! Here are the presents again.

Here is Izzy's face when she got home from swimming and saw all the presents!

We had 100 pink balloons covering the ceiling!

In the original Pinkalicous book, she eats too many pink cupcakes and turns pink! These are a gluten free approximation!

After cake, we opened presents!

Izzy was in her glory!

Can you believe how big this basket is!?!
There were three of them, plus a huge box from my dad's colleagues!

Yup! That's another one!

Izzy was beyond spoiled by everyone! She even got the book she has been wanting--Emeraldicious! (The new Pinkalicious book.) I'm not sure we've seen everything. She loved it all! And we are so thankful to everyone for making today truly magical for Izzy.




Do you see her in there?

Izzy did love her presents, but the one thing she talked about tonight before going to bed was how exciting it was that all of her friends and family were here with her. She named everyone off at least three times each! Here Izzy is with our favorite occupational therapist, who worked Izzy as a baby.

As soon as the last classmate was putting on her coat, Izzy ripped off her dress and declared she needed "real clothes!" (Mind you, she is the one who HAD to have the pinkest of dresses for today!) Here she is in her brand new "5" shirt!

And this is the toy that Izzy has been playing with most today--a new baby doll. Izzy has named her cute and says that she is a newborn. Cute is currently snuggled in the crib next to Izzy's bed right now.

Happy Birthday, sweet girl! I love you to infinity and beyond!

I greeted Izzy this morning with her "Birthday Girl" crown and she lit up with the biggest smile. I tried to capture it. This is close.

This morning, Phinney asked if he could give one of the gifts he got for Izzy to her as soon as they got up. I knew she would be overwhelmed at the party, so we let him.

The party was Pinkalicious--Izzy's favorite book series! Here are the presents again.

Here is Izzy's face when she got home from swimming and saw all the presents!

We had 100 pink balloons covering the ceiling!

In the original Pinkalicous book, she eats too many pink cupcakes and turns pink! These are a gluten free approximation!

After cake, we opened presents!

Izzy was in her glory!

Can you believe how big this basket is!?!
There were three of them, plus a huge box from my dad's colleagues!

Yup! That's another one!

Izzy was beyond spoiled by everyone! She even got the book she has been wanting--Emeraldicious! (The new Pinkalicious book.) I'm not sure we've seen everything. She loved it all! And we are so thankful to everyone for making today truly magical for Izzy.




Do you see her in there?

Izzy did love her presents, but the one thing she talked about tonight before going to bed was how exciting it was that all of her friends and family were here with her. She named everyone off at least three times each! Here Izzy is with our favorite occupational therapist, who worked Izzy as a baby.

As soon as the last classmate was putting on her coat, Izzy ripped off her dress and declared she needed "real clothes!" (Mind you, she is the one who HAD to have the pinkest of dresses for today!) Here she is in her brand new "5" shirt!

And this is the toy that Izzy has been playing with most today--a new baby doll. Izzy has named her cute and says that she is a newborn. Cute is currently snuggled in the crib next to Izzy's bed right now.

Happy Birthday, sweet girl! I love you to infinity and beyond!






No comments:
Post a Comment