Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

No Cath

There will be no 8th heart catheterization for Izzy. There will not be surgery. There will not be a transplant. Izzy's symptoms are an indication of the progression of her disease and there is nothing that science as it stands today can do about it.

Izzy's primary cardiologist and the cardiac surgical board, interventional cardiologists, and staff cardiologists at Mott went through Izzy's entire history today. They discussed every possibility. They discussed Izzy's collaterals and whether any can be coiled, but as we were told last week, that is not a possibility because all of the collaterals are too small. And the largest collateral is not even a collateral because it is the only blood source for Izzy's lower left lung.

They discussed what was described to me as Izzy's aneurismal right ventricle. They looked at it more closely and determined that they were seeing a balloon where a patch was used during Izzy's last open heart surgery to place her conduit. The balloon is causing an "energy sink", which was explained to me as blood coming in but not going out. They discussed possibly taking the patch out and replacing it with a patch that is folded over and tight, rather than a balloon. But Children's Hospital of Boston just, just released a study looking at whether folding over the patch and pulling it tight was better for the heart than leaving it to balloon out. The study found that in both instances the outcomes were the same. Accordingly, there was no reason to open Izzy's chest, ribs, and heart again for something that would do nothing.

They discussed that the pressure in Izzy's right ventricle is 2/3 systemic and twice as great as the left ventricle. But that there was nothing to do for it. They looked at the backflow from her natural pulmonary valve and her mechanical valve. The backflow does not account for the damage seen (as I said before). The doctors agreed that if they were doing surgery for some other purpose, they'd attempt to close Izzy's natural pulmonary valve, but in and of itself, there would be no reason to do it. It might make things slightly better, but not enough to get her healthier.

They discussed the stent in Izzy's right pulmonary artery and how it blocks blood flow still and needs to be ballooned open. They all agreed that even with Dr. Armstrong's fancy maneuvering in the cath lab, she would not be likely to be able to get into the stent due to its placement (but would place Izzy at great risk). The stent needs to be cut and folded during open heart surgery in order to be ballooned more. And even doing that would not help enough because of the stenosis farther down the pulmonary artery chain where nothing can be done without killing Izzy or completely blocking off blood flow to parts of the lungs.

All of the Mott doctors agreed that there was nothing to be done. Izzy just has too many heart defects that are too difficult to address. Research has not come far enough.

Dr. Cutler asked their thoughts on transplant. The transplant doctor said "NO, she would need a heart and lung transplant and that would make her worse-off than she is now." (I know from previous research of my own that heart-lung transplants are rarely done and when done have extremely high mortality rates.) While she is sick now and declining, a heart-lung transplant would likely make her quality of life worse (at least at this point).

The adult congenital heart specialist spoke up and said "I have a 30 year old patient going through this exact same thing right now." Dr. Cutler spoke up and said "But McKenzie is 4. She is not going to make it to 30." At that, the entire room of cardiologists was silent.

The conversation was very hard. Dr. Cutler was in tears on the call. I was in tears, but trying to hold it together because I was alone with Phineas in the parking lot of Kroger. Dr. Cutler apologized over and over. She wanted to find an answer and is just as devastated as we are that none exists.

In the end, we are again treating Izzy's symptoms as her new normal. When she declines further, we will call Dr. Cutler again. She will treat the symptoms. We can still hold out hope that Izzy stays around for a long time, but we know that her heart is very sick and very tired. And we don't know when it will not be able to keep up the brisk pace Izzy demands. And when Izzy asks "Mommy, when will I feel better?", I'll have to continue telling her that her heart is not going to get better.

Hug your loved ones tight and often, tell them that you love them always, and be good to yourself. Life is too short for anything less.

And Izzy would say "don't forget to dance".


53 Message(s) from Carepages


Posted Mar 4, 2013 10:16am
My apologies Melonie,honestly I have not read your posts because they scare me..I pray for you, Izzy, your family and all the doctors and researchers working on your situation....daily!
<3

Posted Feb 11, 2013 4:53pm
Mel,
I just got a chance to read the full update because of computer issues. My heart just aches for you. You have given Izzy an incredible life. You have been amazing advocates for her healthcare. And you are right, science has just not come far enough. We will continue to pray for more good days than bad. We will continue to pray for lots of time with Izzy while we know there will never be enough.
Love,
Amy

Posted Feb 7, 2013 11:11am
Just sending hugs and support and prayers your way today.

Posted Feb 7, 2013 12:23am
I am so very sorry for this heartbreaking news. Your are in our thoughts. From a fellow mapca mom.

Posted Feb 6, 2013 4:37pm
Praying for you all & sending heart hugs.

Posted Feb 6, 2013 11:07am
You are all in my prayers and will continue to be.

Posted Feb 6, 2013 8:30am
Mel
I don't know where to begin and what to say. I am heartbroken for you guys! My thoughts and many prayers are with you all. If there is ANYTHING I can do, just let me know and I will be in Michigan!!!!!

Posted Feb 5, 2013 9:56pm
Prayers and more prayers coming from Florida.
My arms are wrapped around you and the entire family.Hugs for all. Love, Elaine

Posted Feb 5, 2013 9:15pm
HUGS FOR IZZY AND THE REST OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinkingofyou1
Posted Feb 5, 2013 9:08pm
There are no words Mel. Thank you for sharing.

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 5, 2013 6:30pm
I am so sorry to read this and I pray that the medical science and technology necessary is out there,soon. I believe in miracles and know that God is in charge, always. Izzy is a beautiful and remarkable little girl and I can almost hear her telling us to dance....what a sweetheart!
Praying for miracles for your family!
Cody's Grandma Melody
cp: codygarrett


Support_icare
Posted Feb 5, 2013 1:40pm
As I said on your FB page, I hope that Izzy continues to defy the odds and fight, despite the current decisions about future surgery. She is an amazing little girl who has an amazing family who loves her so much. If you decide that you want to come and get another opinion at CHOP (although I know you are in excellent hands in Michigan); you always have a place to stay here with us. (Or- if you want to make it a fun trip and we go to Sesame Place- or Hershey Park- that works too). Love you guys.

Heart1
Posted Feb 5, 2013 12:15pm
As a fellow heart mom, my heart breaks reading this. I will pray that medical technology catches up with Izzy and there will be a fix. I am so sorry.

Posted Feb 5, 2013 10:42am
Dear Mckenzie,
I'm praying for your tired little heart, sweetie. I'm praying that all the willpower and endurance God gave you, is 20x fold in that heart of yours. That somehow you defy the odds, the predictions, the typical course of progression and your heart just keeps beating on, your lungs just find a way, until the day that medical advances are what you need them to be.
I know many will say, this prayer, this wish for you is not realistic. But that is what miracles are made of. Defiance of what should be. Good overcoming. So I will ask God and then I will believe.
Many ((hugs)) to you and your family. Keep dancing : )
Xoxo, Kim, Will's mom cp: HeWill

Heart8
Posted Feb 5, 2013 8:25am
Mel,
I dont know what to say. When you told me last night I was in shock. Of course I knew what has been going on. You keep me well informed. However, I truly believed that CHF and the extraordinary doctors would be able to find something to help our Izzy. After crying all last night I am now determined to get research money to CHF because they have to find a cure.
Hugs and kisses to you and Dale, and Phin and Izzy. If I can help with anything please let me know.
I Love You! Ma

Xmas_snowflake
Posted Feb 5, 2013 8:12am
Mel,
I'm so, so sorry this is happening. You must feel like you've been punched in the stomach (never mind the stress of trying to keep it together while standing in a parking lot with your son).
I'm thinking of you and hoping medical science surprises itself -- and all of us -- with something unexpected that might help Izzy.
Please hang in there.
Holly
cp: EliesPage

Heart8
Posted Feb 5, 2013 8:06am
As a heart Mom, my heart is extremely sad and heavy right now. In comparison with my heart children...there is no comparison. I wish I could just wrap my arms around you and tell you it's going to be alright. If there is anything I can do or if you just want to vent, talk or cry...I am here. Please call on me!

Heart8
Posted Feb 5, 2013 7:27am
My heart just aches as I read this and the tears flow from my eyes. I wish there was more the medical community could do. I will hold you all in prayer! I love Izzy so much even though I haven't met her or you. Hugs and prayers for strength! I think you are doing an awesome job parenting both of your kids!
Love,
Melissa

Posted Feb 5, 2013 6:31am
Speechless but I believe in miracles and won't stop believing and praying. Here for all of you and love you. David wants to dance with Izzy.
I do too!
Hugs and love and strength

Posted Feb 5, 2013 6:07am
I'm so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for your entire family. Hugs to you all....
Kelly
co:JacksHeartUpdate

Set1_rose
Posted Feb 5, 2013 2:27am
What a beautiful picture of Izzy. You are as always surrounded by our love. June & David

Posted Feb 5, 2013 2:17am
Such a gorgeous picture of precious Izzy!!! Praying!!!

Posted Feb 4, 2013 11:59pm
Hugged my teens tonight especially tight. When they said "why?" I replied "In honor of a precious little girl named Izzy."

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 4, 2013 11:16pm
I am so sorry for the news that you got today. All I can do is to tell you that I am praying for a new intervention to come along soon. I agree with the hugging and telling your loved ones that you love them. We so never know how or when they will no longer be with us. Big hugs to you. I love this picture. She is so cute here.
Cindy White
cp: GodsBeautifulPrincess

Posted Feb 4, 2013 11:01pm
I have no words. All I can do is pray and send my love to all of you! <3

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:57pm
I haven't been on care pages much lately but your little girl is always on my mind. Know that you are in my prayers.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:50pm
My tears say more than my words ever could. I wish things were different. I pray that something will change. My heart has forever been touched by Izzy and what you have shared of her with us. Prayers for good days ahead and peace and strength and friends and support and hope. Hugs!

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:31pm
I am so sorry. This must have been incredibly hard to write. Thank you. And though I don't feel like it right now, I will do a dance every day for Izzy. Please let us know what we can do to help you savor every day with your girl.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:29pm
My thoughts and prayers are with your whole family. Izzy is a special girl.
Blessings, Kristin cp: EthanNicholas

Encourage_hug_blue
Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:27pm
I know there are no good words....I am so sorry they didn't have any ideas to help, I am thinking about you all and praying. A thousand hugs from MN.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:24pm
Mel, I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking. I couldn't imagine what life has been like over the last four years and what you are going through today. She is a precious gift and thank you for the reminders to hug my loved ones often. You are in our prayers. Love, Er.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 10:05pm
Hugs and prayer for Izzy and you.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:56pm
I know there are no appropriate words right now. Please just know I'm thinking of you all. Please let me know if you need anything.

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:51pm
I am so sorry to read this, those are not words that anyone wishes to hear about their child. The one and only thing greater than science is god and just keep praying that there will not be any more progression, stay strong. You are in my thoughts and prayers, all of the CHD warriors

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:40pm
I am praying for your family. . I also have a child with teteralogy of fallot... he is 9....

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:37pm
Heartbroken. Your daughter carries a part of my heart and has since early 2009 when we cyber-met. I love her. I love you and Phin and Dale.
Now is our time to pray... show the science and the doctors what God can do. Lord, hear our pray!!

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:32pm
There are no words. Just know you are all loved and in my prayers. Make sure to hug your people, too.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:32pm
You and your family, especially Izzy, are in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of hugs. xo
Amy

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:27pm
I am hurting for you guys and praying for you. You have a beautiful and amazing daughter! Lots and lots of prayers for her.

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:24pm
I know that there are no words to heal the pain you and your family are enduring right now. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I am praying for many more dances! (((HUGS))) Kim Shadek

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:21pm
My heart is breaking - I am praying for you all <3

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:18pm
Sad, sad news :( I'm sorry, Mel... I don't know what to say, but you and Izzy are always in my thoughts, and John and I are praying for a miracle in your behalf for your little girl.
{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}
Cindy =^..^=

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:15pm
Prayers and lots of heart hugs!!!

Posted Feb 4, 2013 9:14pm
I'm so sorry Mel. Keep fighting, sweet girl. Thinking of you and praying for Izzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment