Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Coming Out of the Fog

It has been 8 days since our entire world changed, yet stayed exactly the same. I was a zombie last week, not entirely sure what to feel and what to do. I was crying off an on for no reason and for every reason. All of your wonderful comments here, on facebook, and in person meant the world to us. You have no idea how helpful it is to know so many people care about our sweet girl and our family.
After finding our way out of the fog, Dale and I realized we didn't ask a lot of questions of Dr. Cutler. We hadn't even asked the biggest question of all: What does it all mean? So, because its the only way I knew that I would get everything across to Dr. Cutler and wouldn't miss asking a question due to emotions, I wrote her an email late last week.

We spoke at length this afternoon. Dr. Cutler responded to all of our questions and gave more nuance to the situation than I was capable of hearing last week. Of course, our main question of what it all means wasn't answered directly. We knew it couldn't be answered, but we still had to ask. Instead, Dr. Cutler tried to give us the short-term, mid-term, and long-term views for Izzy.

In the short-term, we had requested that Dr. Cutler consider putting Izzy back on oxygen at night. Izzy's heart doesn't work as hard when she has oxygen at night, so she can rest better. Without oxygen, even when Izzy sleeps, her heart has to work so hard to oxygenate her blood that it is as if she is running in her sleep. Oxygen won't fix anything and it won't help her pulmonary arteries grow as was once hoped, but it will allow her better rest so hopefully she will feel better in the mornings. Dr. Cutler agreed to the oxygen. We will get that tomorrow night and Izzy is excited. I'm sure she'll put up a fight when we try to connect the cannula, but right now, she likes the idea of waking up feeling better.

As for the mid-term view, the fact that the doctors don't see any way to help Izzy's heart simply means she will continue to get sicker. Nobody knows how quickly or what exactly will happen. In the mean time, we have to continue to help her understand that her body can't do everything that she wants it to do. Dr. Cutler gave us coping strategies of lowering Izzy's expectations and trying to make plans that include lots of rest and down time so that Izzy will not get disappointed when she can't keep up. Practically speaking, this means if we say we can't do something on the weekend because Izzy needs a nap, it's because she does. Even at almost 5 years old, she needs a nap and downtime or rest.

Longer term, Dr. Cutler couldn't tell us if Izzy's heart and lungs could hold on for 1 year or 5. She just doesn't know. I don't remember how it came up, but I said something about things changing in 2 years for Izzy such that we might get a different outlook. Dr. Cutler agreed that we don't know what will be needed for Izzy in 2 years, but she tempered any idea that there may be an answer for Izzy in the future. She reiterated that there is no research being done right now that looks promising for Izzy, especially since most pediatric procedures trickle down from work being done on adults. Nobody is working on something for adults with defects like McKenzie. Acquired heart disease simply doesn't look or act the same.

Dr. Cutler was worried that Dale and I were going to start searching for other opinions on surgeries to help Izzy's heart. She was not worried in that she thinks her opinion is the only one that matters (she has always been very good about seeking other opinions and get more information from others). No, Dr. Cutler was worried we would find another doctor who might think they can help Izzy, but any such doctor would be taking an extraordinary risk without much chance of any improvement. We discussed that Izzy needs new therapies that don't exist, new vessels to be built. We need stem cell research to be much further along than it is. While she was telling us how to let Izzy enjoy life and continue being a kid, she wanted us to know that she didn't believe research would come to fruition fast enough to save Izzy.

Finally, we had asked Dr. Cutler whether it wouldn't more prudent to get a second opinion on the heart-lung transplant from doctors that actually do heart-lung transplants. I don't doubt that all of the cardiologists looking at Izzy's case are wonderful physicians and surgeons, who truly believe that heart-lung transplant is not a good choice for her. However, none of them have real-world experience in deciding whether to list a child for a heart-lung transplant and actually doing it.

Dr. Cutler is in agreement with us that we should talk with the specialists with experience in this area, rather than relying on articles and data in a book. I don't think she is convinced that listing Izzy for a heart-lung transplant is the right decision, but she is interested in getting the most information, just as we are, so that the best answer can be reached for our family.

There are only a handful of hospitals in the country that do heart-lung transplants on children. The Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh is the hospital leading the way in this area. The other hospitals with heart-lung programs are basing those programs on the work already done by Pittsburgh. So, Dr. Cutler is going to contact the doctors at Pittsburgh to help start us on the path to getting a second opinion regarding the heart-lung transplant. She will get them the medical records needed and when it is time, they will be in contact with us. I have no idea how quickly this will happen.

I'm not saying Izzy will ever be listed for a heart-lung transplant (even if she qualifies), but Dale and I can't give up fighting and searching without considering all available options. The mortality rates for people receiving heart-lung transplants are dismal. They are even worse for someone with Izzy's underlying anatomy. And if Izzy were to be listed, she'd need to wait close to the hospital, not at home. Our family would be separated completely. And even if she survived all of that, we don't know that her quality of life will be better and it could be worse. Hopefully, the doctors at Pittsburgh can give us some more answers so that whatever ultimate decision is made, can be made more easily (although, I'm certain it will never be easy). Thankfully, Dr. Cutler is on board with us and will help us weigh the information.

For now, we continue to live life. A couple of people were shocked that Dale and I grounded Izzy to her room for a lot of last week in light of our news. I ask you all to think about it: this little girl has to be extraordinarily strong-willed to hold onto this life she has been given; that same strong-will is about to turn 5 and thinks she is right and ought to be able to do whatever she wants. That leads to loss of privileges . . . often.

Don't worry though because Izzy did get to go to a party this past weekend. And she got to dance. She loves to dance. Of course, after a little while, she couldn't dance on her own, so we lifted her into our arms and swung her around. She loved every minute.










Thank you all again for thinking of our family,

Mel

32 Message(s) from Carepages


Posted Mar 4, 2013 10:08am
This is a BEAUTIFUL picture of you both <3

Posted Feb 20, 2013 4:05pm
Seeing pics of Izzy always make my heart smile. Such a precious girl.


Encourage_hugPosted Feb 18, 2013 2:00pm
Mel, Thanks so much for the update. When we talk on the phone sometimes it is hard to get everything. The picture of you and Izzy with your new haircuts is totally adorable. The dancing pictures are great to. I love you all Ma



Posted Feb 15, 2013 5:38pm
The pics at the dance are great.. You know that Izzy and your entire family are always in my daily prayers.All my love, Elaine

Posted Feb 15, 2013 1:04pm
love you guys! Kevin and I were thinking that maybe Ben and I will look for super-savers and fly out for a weekend to see you guys and your new big house (and Freddy while I am in town too). I think it would be great if the kids could meet. I can't believe I havent seen Izzy since she was a year old! Thinking maybe spring or summer, so we dont bring any germs with us.....

Posted Feb 14, 2013 9:20am
Thoughts and prayers for your family!!!! Sweet pictures. Making memories!!!!

Posted Feb 13, 2013 11:34pm
I WOULD ARM MYSELF WITH EVERY BIT OF RESEARCH I COULD FIND AND EVERY DOCTOR WHO COULD REMOTELY HELP. GOD DOES GRANT MIRACLES IZZY DESERVES ONE. PS.. IZZY LOOKS LIKE MAMA <3

Posted Feb 13, 2013 8:46pm
What a cutie!
Pittsburgh has a wonderful heart tx social worker named Ms.Laura Stabile, so kind and insightful of resources. Kathy Irlano was Dr. Steven Webber's transplant coordinator, ALSO very approachable and helpful.Keep in touch - :)

Thinkingofyou1
Posted Feb 13, 2013 8:19pm
Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, especially little Miss Dancing Feet!
A Grammy on Cape Cod

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 13, 2013 8:05pm
Even strong willed little girls have to listen to their Mommy and Daddy....it's ok...I do love her spunk tho....so glad she got to dance(one of her many loves) I also love the pictures,especially the one of Mom and Izzy. She is definately a "mini me" of her momma. What a sweet picture!!
Praying....

Posted Feb 13, 2013 3:33pm
We continue to feel so fortunate to spend each day with this amazing girl! I smiled at your comment about her strong will! We love to see that in her, and know that it can serve her well. We admire you guys and agree that it is in her best interest to realize that she can't always do whatever she wants. We strive to teach her these things while keeping that will and spirit untouched! Always in my thoughts and prayers...Ms. Barb

Posted Feb 13, 2013 3:14pm
You are amazing, brave parents. I am so glad you have Dr. Cutler. I wish we could have had someone so honest. God bless your family.
Hugs,
Amy, mom of Madilynn

Posted Feb 13, 2013 3:05pm
What incredible parents you are - and what a precious little girl Miss Izzy is. VERY happy Dr. Cutler will be contacting Pittsburgh - it's a step to finding out their expert opinions. God bless you all.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 2:40pm
No stone unturned, Mel. We don't stop until we've exhausted every possibility. That is the way with us heart moms. As far as grounding Izzy, our cardiologist warned us with Matt when he was first diagnosed. He told us that many parents make the mistake of giving the child free reign. Then the child becomes out of control (or as he put it a "little Hitler") and socially unacceptable. Yes, our children are sick. But they still have to learn to live and cope in the real world. And some people just aren't very patient or forgiving. So no "feeling sorry for them" free reigns of terror allowed! You and Dale are great parents and have wonderful children. Remember you are loved by many!
Dorie
cp: MatthewNeuhaus

Encourage_hug
Posted Feb 13, 2013 1:49pm
I have been following sweet little Izzy for a long time. God Bless your family and an extra blessing for that beautiful little Izzy. Her pictures tell it all about her personality. Will pray for Izzy each and everyday. Thank you also for all the lovely pictures and stories on Izzy. They are a treasure.
Diana Bryant

Set1_rose
Posted Feb 13, 2013 12:58pm
The picture of you and Izzy is so amazing! The smiles! The cheekbones! The glasses! Mother an daughter yes, yes, yes!!! We thank you so much for taking the time and having the strength to keep us so well informed about how things are for izzy and the whole family. You have kind and wise doctors who seem to be wanting to help you live with what is for Izzy at this moment withut closing the door on what could possibly be out there that they don't yet know.
Have a wonderful Valentines Day! Much Much love, June & David

Posted Feb 13, 2013 12:36pm
These pictures are awesome. Such great memories. I am so glad that your Dr. is willing and open to getting a second opinion. It sounds like you have wonderful doctors that care a great deal. I know from personal experience that it is so good to know that you have looked at each and every thing that is out there. I was so thankful that the doctors did that for us in San Antonio for Krysta. Still praying for you all and will continue. Keep smiling Izzy. You are a beautiful child of God.
Cindy White

Posted Feb 13, 2013 11:22am
We've been praying for a miracle; and will pray for your trip to Pittsburg. Love you! Erin
ps. we are at the Mayo Clinic for Ryan for the next month so if in your pursuit of info leads you to Rochester, MN let us know. Then we will be in MI for a week (3/12-3/20).

i'm praying that God will direct your steps and give you clear direction! Also, that He will bless your home with love and laughter and lots of hugs!

Thinkingofyou1
Posted Feb 13, 2013 9:15am
Lots of HUGS!!!!!!

Posted Feb 13, 2013 8:14am
What a great picture of Izzy and Mommy...there is so much love in your faces. Sending prayers from Michigan.

Heart1
Posted Feb 13, 2013 8:03am
It made me so happy to hear that Izzy is feisty enough to need time-out. Strong-willed girls are just that: STRONG (like their moms).
Hang in there.
Holly
cp: EliesPage

Posted Feb 13, 2013 7:27am
Happy Valentine's Day to you all. I am always praying for all of you and Diane and I always talk about Phin and Izzy. Their photos are still on our door of fame downstairs. Love the haircut too. Love , Mary T.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 6:08am
Lots of thoughts and prayers.

Posted Feb 13, 2013 4:34am
Thinking of you and Izzy..and praying that she will qualify for the Heart/Lung Transplant.
Mama-bear hugs from New Zealand XX

Posted Feb 12, 2013 11:48pm
Sending prayers for your family from bucks county, pa

Posted Feb 12, 2013 10:58pm
Lots of prayers and virtual hugs being sent your way!

Posted Feb 12, 2013 10:42pm
Adding prayers from Ohio...

Posted Feb 12, 2013 10:29pm
Praying, praying, praying that the long-term is just that... LONG... You are an amazing Mom and Izzy is so lucky to have you advocating for her. Sending love and prayer from NJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment