Izzy saw her gastroenterologist today. He was very happy with
her. Removing gluten from her diet has almost eliminated Izzy's
daily complaints of stomach pain. She feels better GI-wise and we
get to remove her evening dose of prevacid to see if we can finally
start to wean that (the docs do not know the long-term effects of
children taking prevacid, especially the extremely high dose Izzy
takes).
But (and there's always a but, isn't there) . . . but, Izzy only weighs 28 pounds. She has LOST 1/2 a pound in the last two months. She weighed 28 pounds a year ago. This is NOT supposed to be happening.
I don't think the cause is GI. Neither does Dr. G. Unfortunately, my big guess is heart and lung causes. Izzy continues her very slow decline that she began last fall. These days, she is always swollen, her eyes look so very sick, she tires fairly easily, and has been blue quite frequently. I lamented to Dr. G today that nobody believes me that Izzy is declining and despite having been very blue all morning, Izzy turned pink when we walked into the doctors' office--right when we could possibly run into the cardiologist. But Dr. G saw it too.
Izzy isn't scheduled to see the cardiologist until January and without something drastic, I'm not taking her in until then. Hopefully, with the holidays, she'll stop losing weight and start gaining again. Afterall, she is only 4.5. She is supposed to be getting bigger, not smaller.
Although, I do have to say, she was pretty cute this weekend wearing the hat from her first Christmas.
But (and there's always a but, isn't there) . . . but, Izzy only weighs 28 pounds. She has LOST 1/2 a pound in the last two months. She weighed 28 pounds a year ago. This is NOT supposed to be happening.
I don't think the cause is GI. Neither does Dr. G. Unfortunately, my big guess is heart and lung causes. Izzy continues her very slow decline that she began last fall. These days, she is always swollen, her eyes look so very sick, she tires fairly easily, and has been blue quite frequently. I lamented to Dr. G today that nobody believes me that Izzy is declining and despite having been very blue all morning, Izzy turned pink when we walked into the doctors' office--right when we could possibly run into the cardiologist. But Dr. G saw it too.
Izzy isn't scheduled to see the cardiologist until January and without something drastic, I'm not taking her in until then. Hopefully, with the holidays, she'll stop losing weight and start gaining again. Afterall, she is only 4.5. She is supposed to be getting bigger, not smaller.
Although, I do have to say, she was pretty cute this weekend wearing the hat from her first Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment