Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 6, 2012

As I said in my last post, Izzy has continued her slow decline we've been noticing since this time last year. She's stopped growing, lost weight, continues to be swollen, has dark circles around her eyes, and just looks sick. She is not coughing at night currently, but she is turning blue frequently and for longer periods of time. And now, Izzy has started to complain of lethargy. Each morning, she tells me "Mommy, I'm so tired. I slept last night and I take a nap, but I'm tired." Of course, she starts playing and forgets she's tired, but her eyes tell a different story. Dale and I have both noticed that she is tiring more easily and her endurance seems to be decreasing. This video is an example:
Izzy loves to make videos because she loves to watch herself perform. (My little diva.) As you saw if you watched, Izzy sang "Hush Little Baby" to her baby, Mickey.** I don't know if you noticed the pauses she had to take to catch her breath, but I did. And when she ran to the other side of the camera to watch herself, she was huffing and puffing to catch her breath simply because she had sung a song. That is not normal for my Izzy, who sings constantly.

Harder still is that Izzy is noticing and complaining about not being able to play and run a lot lately. It is heart breaking to watch her tire in the middle of doing things she could do with ease even a couple of months ago. I tried to convince myself that I was just seeing things, but Dale noticed too.

So, at the end of last week, I contacted Izzy's cardiologist about our worries. I tried to give her an out and say I was being an overprotective mom, but Dr. Cutler responded that she always worries about Izzy. That jarred me. I know that Izzy's case is very complicated and that we've been told over and over again that they don't know what to do, but to know that it worries her doctor shook me. That statement has been sitting resident in my head for days now.

After ruling out the obvious, Dr. Cutler ordered a full round of blood work on Izzy in hopes that her iron was low and causing the lethargy. That was done last night. Everything came back good. Izzy's hemoglobin (iron) was even higher than two months ago (a good thing). The only thing not quite right was a BUN of 24 (and yes, Nicole, I put the specific number in for you). That number is slightly above normal and indicates that Izzy is a little dry according to Dr. Cutler. I've never been told Izzy's BUN level before, so I can't compare, but apparently it is elevated. I'm not terribly concerned about the number because I know that is a symptom of congestive heart failure (which we know Izzy has) and I know that number becomes a real concern when it is much higher, not 24.

Izzy will go in for a visit with Dr. Cutler on Monday morning, one month early, to look at her heart and check for A-fib, worsening tricuspid valve regurgitation, decreased heart function, increased pulmonary hypertension, or anything else. Anything is possible. Because of the number of open heart surgeries Izzy has had, she could easily be having rhythm problems. Her messed up tricuspid valve is always a problem. And those pulmonary arteries . . .

The most likely culprit is the pulmonary arteries and the pressure inside them from being so darn small and misplaced and impossible to fix (at least with current medical practice). If this is simply a symptom of Izzy's pulmonary pressures continuing to increase because her body is trying to pump more blood through those tiny arteries that don't grow, there is nothing to do be done except help relieve the symptoms that can be helped and live with everything else.

Of course, I'm ahead of myself. We don't know what the answer is going to be. Dr. Cutler and I joked about how nice it would be if we were simply looking for some exotic disease Izzy had because we could finally figure it out and give her the magic pill. But, we know what she has and we've searched for the pill. They don't make one for her.

Maybe we'll be lucky on Monday and it will all be an obvious thing like rhythm issues that can be addressed easily with a known drug. No matter what, right now my brain in on overdrive and I need to get all of this out so I can do other things before Monday. I need to put these thoughts aside. And I need my girl to be all right.

Mel

**If you are wondering why, in the video, Izzy said Mickey is not a baby, but her baby, it is because that is what I tell her and Phineas. They are no longer babies, but they will always be my babies. And Mickey is Izzy's baby. She will tell you all kinds of stories about him. He's had a hard life--born with a broken heart, he's had heart surgery, and spent a lot of time in the hospital and almost died, but he is good now and happy.

21 Message(s) from Carepages


Set1_rose
Posted Dec 9, 2012 3:47am
What s singer you are Izzy!! Many many hugs and kisses for you, Phin, Mommy and Daddy!
Love, June & David

Posted Dec 7, 2012 9:18pm
I teared up especially with your last statement. Hoping for decent news on Monday!

Posted Dec 7, 2012 5:44pm
Miss Izzy -- thank you so much for sharing your performance! You sing beautifully for your baby Mickey. I'm sure Mickey is so happy when you sing to him -- I know I would be! You are so smart to know all the words to that song -- I wish you were here so you could teach them to me! Here's a BIG hug for you and a smaller but still big hug for baby Mickey. You are such a beautiful and sweet little girl!!! I know your Mommy and Daddy and Big Brother are very proud of you! Enjoy Christmas Sweetie !!


Heart8
Posted Dec 7, 2012 4:32pm
Oh Mel and Dale, my heart is aching as I read this and to be honest, I'm crying. We will be praying extra hard for all of you and especially for Izzy. I think there's a lot of turth behind Izzy's story of her Mickey, at the end where she says, but he is good now and happy...that's the report we'll be praying for for Izzy, that she'll be good and happy! Sending you all lots of hugs, love and many prayers.
cp: AubreeAnne

Posted Dec 6, 2012 8:55pm
My heart is breaking for all of you. I don't have to tell you, your little Izzy is so cute, so smart, and quite the character. I love hearing her songs. Keep recording and keep posting please.
Love, Aunt Mary

Posted Dec 6, 2012 7:59pm
Katie feels the same way about her Baby Alive :-) She had a 5-step plan for her after school yesterday to help her feel better.
I hope that Dr. Cutler will be able to figure something out next Monday.
Miss Izzy, you have a beautiful voice and you were singing one of my favorite songs.
MoMo Connie
cp: katietestement

Babyg_balloons
Posted Dec 6, 2012 6:41pm
I just don't know what to say...I wish I could make you feel better...I wish there was some magic pill to make all of this pain and heartache go away and to make Izzy well. Hugs and many prayers...many many many prayers!!!

Posted Dec 6, 2012 4:57pm
Prayers for my little friend !!! That is the cutest video. I love her rendition of "Hush Little Baby!"

Posted Dec 6, 2012 4:29pm
...sigh... we are praying.
Hugs,
Cindy

Posted Dec 6, 2012 4:14pm
Mel, I hope Dr Cutler finds some answers other than the ones you do not want to hear. Thank you for including the number for me, you know me only too well. I have seen much higher here at work from the dialysis patients and 24 is not anywhere near those numbers. Sending Love, positivity and prayers to you all! Nicole

Posted Dec 6, 2012 4:14pm
{{{HUG}}} Always keeping you and your precious family in my prayers Mel.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 4:08pm
Keeping you all close in thought and prayer. ((hugs))

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:50pm
I am thankful you are able to see her Dr. on Monday and do not have a long wait for answers. Now I shall pray that the problem has an answer which has a doable fix. Keep dreaming big. All things are possible with the Lord Jesus.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:24pm
As always, prayers all around.
Love
Elaine and Grandpa Charles

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:20pm
Will be praying extra, extra hard that you get some good news on Monday. As always, keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:04pm
Oh Mel, I truly hope that you get some answers on Monday and Dr. C can come up with a good plan for Izzy. In the meantime, I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
Hugs to you,
Kelly
cp: JacksHeartUpdate

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:00pm
Hugs, friend. I'm here if you need anything.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 3:00pm
Mel, I am always praying for you, and you know I am here for you if you need me. For ANYTHING. Hugs, mama, to all of you.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 2:53pm
Thinking of and praying for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment