Another half year has past and there have been some exciting changes. First, McKenzie no longer goes by Izzy. She requests that people call her by her full name of McKenzie or McK for short (pronounced Mick).
Second, McK has had some exciting developments with her writing. Since December, McK has been turning one of her short story series into a play. We've been told that one of the theater classes at her high school will actually be performing the play in their class. We're speaking with the theater teacher at McK's high school on Monday directly and hope to learn more. We are very excited at the thought of seeing the characters McK lovingly created come to life.
On a broader-reaching note, one of McK's short stories is being published in the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization's Pediatric e-Journal in August. And the same story is supposed to be included in the 9th edition of the text book "Death & Dying, Life & Living" (authors: C. Corr, D. Corr, and K. Doka). I will include the story below for you to read and enjoy. McKenzie is very excited to share her work with the world.
McK wanted me to add that she says hello to everyone and please visit. McK loves visitors and really wants to visit with people. McK has a new bedroom that is much bigger, so there are multiple chairs by her bed, waiting for you to sit and talk and share stories. Come ready to be entertained. McK has lots of stories to read.
On less exciting note, McK is learning lots of history from Phineas as he is constantly telling her historical tidbits. Actually, she told me I was not permitted to say this is less interesting. She loves hearing Phin's historical stories and Phin makes the stories exciting. He brings fun to learning.
McK is more tired than before. She sleeps quite a bit of each day. Pain is still our arch nemisis, but McK's smile is still big as ever. I'll end with some pics and then the short story. Enjoy!
Thanks for checking in on our girl,
Mel & McK
![]() |
| Christmas presents!!!!!! |
![]() |
| McK was given a library for Christmas (before big name change). This is where the bound books authored by her are kept. |
![]() |
| Window seat in the booktopia. |
![]() |
| A fun trip to Barnes and Noble to fill the shelves. |
![]() |
| The look of pure astonishment upon seeing the candy landscape built for her Lolly Delicacies birthday party, inspired by Willy Wonka, but with a McKenzie twist. |
![]() |
| Candy Wonderland |

![]() |
| Lolly Delicacies herself. |
![]() |
| What 15 year old doesn't want an ice cream maker for their birthday? |
![]() |
| I think it was a hit. |
![]() |
| Yes; I know she should not have had her oxygen on while blowing out a candle. |
![]() |
| When we thought spring had sprung early. |
![]() |
| When the stairs were too much, McK's library became her bedroom. Now she sleeps in a library and is constantly trying to get us to put in more bookshelves. |
![]() |
| Painting the windows in the Booktopia to make the view more lively. |
![]() |
| Princesses helped paint the windows with McK. |
![]() |
| Amazingly, magical butterfly tree in the sky. |
![]() |
| And this morning, drinking hot chocolate with peeps as a Mother's Day treat! Love that smile!!!!!!! |
By: McKenzie Rose Stothers
In the middle of the night, a shadow loomed about. Most won’t say it, but he is also identified as Death. The slinking shadow was from a cloaked being quietly peering as Life freely moved all about. In this story, Life is a woman with short blond hair and a gown that ripples with every breath spoken on earth. Death was sure she was mocking him or so he thought.
The next morning, Death watched as a young couple discovered a lifeless kitten at the edge of the road, which Death had just laid on the damp concrete.
Before dawn, Death had found the young cat happy and blissful. He desired to feel those emotions too, so he touched the tiny creature and soon it started moaning and crying in pain. Scared of what he did, Death quickly picked up the kitten and put it where he thought a human might find it. And then he fled back into the arms of the forest’s darkest, tangled roots.
A car soon pulled over and a man could be heard saying, "Look, honey, at this poor kitten. Where do you think its mother is?"
"I don't know. We need to get it help. Death has done enough to it already," the woman said as they rushed off.
As they took the small, fragile kitten into their arms and drove away, Death sighed and kept going through the dark, unnoticed.
"I don't know why that happened,” Death repeated over and over.
In his mind, he struggled with, I didn't think Death killed like that—that I killed like that. I just thought I would somehow get this feeling and see someone was in pain and needed to be free from it. Then I would carry them to wherever else they were supposed to go.
“Life has a much better job than I," Death whispered, floating through the shadows, feeling unseen, never touched nor loved; only feared.
From a distance, Death could see the animal hospital and a human hospital. The couple was getting out of their car and that’s when He first saw her—Life. She was beautiful, graceful, and kind, as well as content, something Death knew nothing about.
Life floated through the walls and found the kitten. She started gently petting its fur coat and the kitten started purring and was soon fast asleep in the corner of the treatment bed.
"May you live a long life until Death is ready to come for you and bring you back to your mother and siblings," Life said. She then went back outside, spreading her beauty and happiness onto everything she touched.
Death continued to watch from afar as the husband and wife set their newly adopted pet into the car. But before they left, the vet came out of the hospital. "This kitten is lucky for you to have been there or Death would've taken her for certain. Please look out as Death can take you by surprise any day," he said and went back into the hospital.
"I don't want to be Death! I'd rather be Life!" He screamed. The shouting was so loud it came to the ears of Life, who had just brought a newborn girl into the world.
Not too long after that, Life floated through the forests and trees, smiling as the leaves tickled her fingers and toes. After crossing the highest mountains, she got to the edge of the world, where Death was hunched over, envying Life.
"Death, you and I have been here longer than anyone,” Life spoke. Death looked up and they locked eyes and Life said, “I think you know that, if you were Life, the world wouldn't operate as it does.” Life continued: “This world and all the others need both of us—Life and Death, new and old, sadness and happiness—as nobody would be content with a forever life. Everyone in this universe and the next need both of us. They need both sides of the coin. And if you continue the way you have been, all will be fine. I promise you."
As she spoke, her eyes revealed to Death all the wonders of life and the beauty of love.
Angry and scared, Death shouted, "But everyone hates me!"
"I don't think that's true. I'll show you. Follow me."
And so, Life and Death went into the local hospital to find an old man with many hospital tubes and an IV, moaning in pain.
"Please, Death, take me into the afterlife. Take this pain from me. I don't have any other use here. Please take me away from this place!" he cried in earnest.
"Go on. Be his hero," Life nudged with a grin. “This is your day.”
Death tiptoed up to the bed and said, “I heard you calling. I'm Death. I hear you're ready to come live with me in the afterlife. You will be able to make it whatever you want." Even though Death was trying to speak in a grim voice, he sounded sincere.
"Please, just take me away from this horrible place!" the man gasped.
"Let us depart," Death encouraged. He then grasped the old man’s wrinkled hands within his own and let his spirit go free.
"Thank you, Death! You don't know how grateful I am and never will know! I can finally join the rest of my family. You are my hero," he said as he drifted up into his blissful afterlife.
Death left the old man and went to find Life. But when he went to where Life had been standing moments before, she was no longer there. But her voice echoed over the tops of the mountains: "I'm proud of you, Death. And, you know, even though you are Death, Death was born; even Death is alive in a way." And with that, she was gone once again.
Death went back to his home and the familiar, dark cobblestone streets, but he knew that, just like Life said, Life was everywhere; even in Death. And he now knew Life was not mocking him, had never mocked him. She was his other half and he was loved.
The end



























Hi McK,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, everyone should have an ice cream maker. We have one at our house and the ice cream is so yummy! Your candy wonderland for your birthday is really amazing and cool! Happy Belated Birthday!!
I love your magical butterfly tree in the sky!
I love that one of your short stories is being turned into a play at your high school! That's so awesome!
Your book was was also very good and made so much sense about "Life" and Death." You are a great author!
Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures with us!
Your friend,
Melody