Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Cardiology

When I updated last week (here), I promised I'd update again if there was anything new at the cardiologist. Well, there was.

Izzy's heart has improved! Yes; you read that correctly, her heart improved. Her right heart function looks good. Her left heart function has improved and there was minimal leakage from her valves. Her conduit was open and clear.

All that being said, we're maintaining everything as is. Meds stay the same, oxygen 24/7, keep up the good work. Obviously, Izzy's body likes what we've been doing, so we're not to rock the boat.

The only bad part is weight gain. There hasn't been any weight gain in months. During the winter and early spring, Izzy did gain back all of the weight she lost last summer, but has not gained any weight since then. She's plateaued at 40 pounds. That is pretty small for a 9 1/3 year old (as of today!). Izzy has grown an inch, which HUGE, but no weight gain makes it difficult to continue improving or even holding her own. And, if you're talking pounds per inch, she is less since she gained an inch, but no weight.

As a result, Dr. Cutler did give Izzy a new prescription. Izzy did not want to listen when Dr. Cutler was telling her about this new prescription. She was pouting and refusing to look at Dr. Culter. She did not want any news meds. Finally, Dr. Cutler broke through to Izzy and said that the prescription was for ICE CREAM!

We need to fatten our girl up. It's not like we don't try. Izzy's belly just won't accept much food. We do try to incorporate (good) fatty foods when possible, but Izzy's favorites are things like shrimp, lobster, and chicken. Shoot! Even when we go to Red Robin for burgers, Izzy orders a turkey burger. So, ice cream it is! I guess our jar for Izzy's Ice Cream Challenge will be really, really full this year!

Thanks for checking in on our girl,

Mel




5 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that her heart has improved. Hopefully the ice cream will do the trick and fatten her up a bit 😉 Why is it the ones that have to gain weight love the non fattening food and people like me who looks at fattening food and it becomes part of my hips? Tell her that I miss her and hope that she is enjoying her summer. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass on the message. Izzy hopes to see you soon.

      As for the fat, I know the feeling. One of the hardest things for me to comprehend with Izzy is not eating. How does one not want to eat ever? I hope the ice cream does the trick, but I'm doubtful. We've already prescribed ice cream ourselves. Izzy tried hard today to eat lunch, so she could have two meals in one day, but 1/2 a corn tortilla quesadilla with chicken is not fat enough, even topped with full fat sour cream!

      Delete
    2. Izzy wants you to know she's enjoying her summer!

      Delete
  2. It is so nice to have some good news to go along with all the Izzy smiles in these two posts! Ice cream sounds good. How about hot chocolate made with heavy cream? Would the warmth perhaps be soothing?
    Thanks for the updates. The smiling photos make me smile.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Improvement!! Hallelujah!!!God is good!!Praying for you,sweet Izzy! Nothing better than ice cream!! Love those smiles, Izzy and Phin!!

    ReplyDelete