Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Our Girl Is Back!


First things first, above is Izzy's school picture from this year. If you look to your right (if you are on a computer), you will see the photo gallery. This year's school picture is right next to last year's school picture. While McKenzie may not have grown very much this year in size, she has most definitely matured! Don't see it with those photos, look at this:



That is Izzy wearing the same costume on Halloween 2009, December 2011, and a couple of weeks ago. Don't let the first picture fool you, the dress was taken up about 8-10 inches after Izzy tried it on that day in 2009. Not very different in size over the last 4 years, but so much more mature! Of course, Izzy didn't wear that princess outfit for Halloween. She just had it on to do errands one Saturday. For Halloween, she was Fix It Felix, Jr. from her favorite movie, "Wreck It Ralph".


The night was rainy and cold and Izzy didn't make it far, but she did have fun handing out candy after she finished trick or treating herself!


I am also so very, very happy to report that we have our girl back! No, she wasn't physically missing or absent, but the smile that used to live non-stop on her face has finally returned. Our girl who took everything in stride and smiled despite whatever horrible circumstance she was placed, is back. She is back! Izzy is happy. Just happy.


I have no idea how long that happy face has been absent, but it seems like it left in January, but it could have been when we moved last fall or even earlier. No matter, she is back!


I was so afraid for so long that our sweet, happy girl was permanently replaced by a grumpy, grouch who screamed all of the time and was just not happy. I wouldn't blame her. With everything she faces, I'd probably be angry too. She is in pain most, if not all, the time. She takes 14 meds regularly, but add in the antibiotics, steroids, and assorted "other" meds which are routinely put into rotation and she really takes between 15 and 19 most weeks. And she hates most of them, but takes them without complaint (she does down a lot of water right after!) It almost felt proper to have to tiptoe around Izzy with all of that, but not quite right because that has never been her.




And now she is back! I don't know what has changed. It could be that she has friends in school. A lot of friends. It could be that she is sleeping a ton better now that she takes valium at bedtime. Her nightmares are almost completely eradicated! It could be the addition of an aid dedicated to her at school (Izzy does love an audience). It could be all of the above. She is happy though and that is all that matters.




On the medical front, Izzy is back on antibiotics again. She was on the cusp of pneumonia a week ago. Thankfully, we caught it quick and she is doing better. Below is a pic of her at the doctor's office last weekend:


Unfortunately though, Izzy has been having constant, very bad stomach aches. Her stomach remains swollen more frequently. And she's been having a lot of neck and head pain. Right now, we are simply watching it, but are not happy with her constant pain. 
 
The really unfortunate part is that the ear drum patch that was placed in the late spring/early summer is working its way out of Izzy's ear. She has had a couple nasty infections behind the patch and it is simply not in place any longer. The surgeon expects it will fall out fairly soon and she will be back to borderline hearing loss. I'm highly disappointed. Yet another "fix" that lasted 6 months in the left ear. I'm ready to get Izzy hearing aids at this point. I'm not putting her under anesthesia for more temporary fixes that just seem to cause more damage than good.

We had parent-teacher conferences at school last week and Izzy is doing very well there as well. She is well on her way to learning to read, recognizing a ton of her sight words without a lot of work. And I'm very happy to report that with the return of happy Izzy, we are no longer having behavior issues at school. We are just proud of her (and Phinney too!)

I'm going to end with this picture because I think it just sums up our Izzy: she is the pink and turquoise in a world of brown!



(And yes, she always lights up like that when she is around that little boy--one of her boyfriends. He protects her and takes care of her and brings smiles so big to her face.)

As always, thanks for checking in on our girl,

Mel


* * * * *

18 Message(s) from Carepages

Set1_rosePosted Nov 21, 2013 12:04am
Go Izzy Go !!!
So much love, June & David

Posted Nov 20, 2013 9:12pm
So happy for you all of you that Izzy is happy and bright again. I hope your holidays will be great!

Posted Nov 20, 2013 1:30am
Once again I'm in tears — but of absolute joy that Izzy is BACK!!!! Thank you, God!!!

Encourage_hugPosted Nov 19, 2013 7:26pm
Wonderful post...and I LOVE that Miss Izzy is back!!! Love those bigs smiles from beautiful Miss Izzy! I'm so happy that school is going well... Great pictures of both Izzy and Phinn!
Prayers for some relief from the tummy aches and constant pain..
Melody

Posted Nov 19, 2013 1:25pm
Beautiful Izzy :)

Posted Nov 19, 2013 10:12am
Hi Mel. Love that Izzy is back! Also, on that note I will be back in Mic for the month of Dec. I have a book for Izzy that I found by a local author when I was in Nevada in Sept. It was very emotional, we were in a small shop on our way to Mt. Charleston, Nevada and this children's book caught my eye. I started reading it. Simply put it is about a girl who is brave and can do anything she puts her mind to. Tears sprang to eyes and Izzy was in my mind. I would like to visit your family when I am back and give Izzy this book and read it together if she is interested. I will email you when I return later this week and we can make a plan!

Heart8Posted Nov 18, 2013 9:10pm
Happy to see her beautiful smile again.
Hugs,
The St.Clair's

Posted Nov 18, 2013 1:49pm
So glad things are improving! Love that smile :)

Rainbow1Posted Nov 18, 2013 1:10pm
It is always a pleasure checking out your little Izzy. She brings joy to the person looking at her pictures. I love her outfits, and her personality. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us. So glad her beautiful smile is back.
Diana Bryant

Heart8Posted Nov 18, 2013 9:12am
It was so wonderful to be with her and her brother this weekend. They were playing and happy together. But, who wouldn't be happy with ice cream at an ice cream store and a story that was read twice. Ma

Posted Nov 18, 2013 7:44am
So fantastic to hear about and see all these smiles. Izzy is most definitely a pink and turquoise standout!

Posted Nov 18, 2013 6:09am
oh, how I enjoyed these pictures! Izzy is just beautiful, as always. I could tell right away that she is happier. Praise God for His miracles for Izzy. Praying for the pain that she is in to subside. Praying for continued blessings and strength for all of you.Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful family with all of us.
Terri

Set1_hibiscusPosted Nov 18, 2013 5:41am
What a great post! I'm glad her smile is back and that her sleep is much better! Sad about her constant pain and the failed rear patch. :-( But mostly happy for all the good!
Hugs,
Wendy cp: andrewjosephspage

Posted Nov 17, 2013 10:41pm
You are right--"it is the smile that matters". That and a few fancy dresses and the occasional tiara.
Best,
Bonnie

Posted Nov 17, 2013 9:14pm
Great update! I'm smiling ear to ear knowing that izzy is smily and happy again! And I LOVE the pictures!
Kelly
cp: JacksHeartUpdate

Posted Nov 17, 2013 9:12pm
Happy Dance :)

Posted Nov 17, 2013 9:08pm
So glad to hear that happy Izzy is back. Love the beautiful smiles. Wonderful to hear that things are going well at school too! You rock Izzy!
MoMo Connie
cp: Katie's Heart Journey

Smiles7Posted Nov 17, 2013 9:01pm
Welcome back, Izzy!!
Holly
cp: EliesPage

No comments:

Post a Comment