Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Still Waiting

Izzy's bloodwork came back Monday. Everything was fine. Her liver was fine. Calcium and potassium were fine. Even her sodium was fine after several days on the higher dosage of diuretics. (It was slightly lower than her normal, but still within the range of normal).

The PRA, which looked to see how much her body is currently fighting her foreign tissue, was way better than expected. Normally, the PRA test will show a very high percentage of antibodies fighting foreign objects when a person has had donated organs, tissue, or even had blood transfusions. Izzy has had donated tissues in her body since she was one week old and had numerous blood transfusions, so the docs assumed her PRA would be high. We were told that if the percentage of antibodies in her blood was above 70%, she would be automatically disqualified from transplant. But Izzy's had 0. Yes, you read that correctly, zero. I think that may say something about that top notch immune system she has fighting for her. (Yes, I am being sarcastic.) Apparently, for people with a high PRA percentage, doctors use IVIG to lower the percentage. Izzy gets IVIG (well, not IV) each week. That likely explains why her percentage is so low. This means, we know of no reason that Izzy should automatically be disqualified from being considered for heart-lung transplant.

All of that information was faxed to Pittsburgh on Monday afternoon. The team was supposed to discuss Izzy on Tuesday at conference and get back with us on Wednesday. It is Friday afternoon and we've heard nothing and neither has Izzy's primary cardiologist. To say that I'm going insane waiting is an understatement. I HATE uncertainty and we have been waiting for so long. I don't know if I can wait any longer, but I guess I have no choice!!

Mel

10 Message(s) from Carepages


Posted Apr 14, 2013 10:26pm
Love that zero! Praying your wait for an answer is not much longer.

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:49am
I hope you hear from them soon. Thinking of you all. :)

Posted Apr 12, 2013 6:51pm
Melanie - My thoughts are with you and your entire family. Waiting for calls/results is so difficult. Izzy is in my prayers daily.

Posted Apr 12, 2013 5:59pm
Waiting is hard, hang in there and know your loved and thought about each step of the way!


Encourage_hugPosted Apr 12, 2013 3:32pm
Hang in there, you and your family have done a terrific job. God has been with you all the way and he will continue to be with Izzy and your family. Cannot begin to even imagine what you are going thru. Just know you have a lot of people praying for Izzy girl. We certainly cannot have anything happen to that girl with the radiant smile and awsome personality that is so evident in her pictures.
Diana Bryant

Posted Apr 12, 2013 3:28pm
Sending positive thoughts that you hear some good news soon.

Posted Apr 12, 2013 1:58pm
Hang in there, Mel. Thinking of you always.


Encourage_hugPosted Apr 12, 2013 1:55pm
Good news Mel - I hope you hear more today!

Posted Apr 12, 2013 1:51pm
Hoping you don't have to wait much longer! Glad to hear all the blood work was good.
Hugs,
Kelly

Posted Apr 12, 2013 1:47pm
That is good news & I think of you guys often, hoping you will get some Positive Results & can move forward. Keeping Izzy in my thoughts always :)

No comments:

Post a Comment