The reason it has taken so long to hear from Pittsburgh is
because the transplant board could not come to a consensus on what
to do with Izzy. They couldn't agree whether a heart-lung
transplant would increase her life and help her quality of life. In
the end, they left it up to us to decide whether we wanted to push
for transplant, see them in clinic to get more information to make
our decision, or whether we already had enough information.
After lots of tears, lots of thought, and lots of conversation,
our family has decided that transplant is not the right option for
Izzy. Our goal for her for her entire life has been to be as normal
a kid as she can be. That was why we never homeschooled her and
allowed her to be in daycare, when other people said we were crazy.
She loves people and she loves interaction. We've never wanted to
hide her away because we've never been promised it would extend her
life and we knew, even if it did extend her life a little, she
wouldn't be happy. We want Izzy to be happy and do the things she
wants to do for as long as she can.
Heart-lung transplant is not the same as other transplants, even
just a heart. It is not considered a fix or even a huge life
extender. It is palliative even in the most obvious cases where
transplant is suggested. For those cases, half of the kids die
within 3 years and the other half only live about 5. Would Izzy be
a lucky one? We don't know, but she has a lot going against her.
Her immune system and DiGeorge's Syndrome are indications against
transplant. Kids with her specific heart defects also do worse than
others who get heart-lung transplant. In the end, the doctors can't
agree whether transplant is recommended for Izzy, so she is at
50/50 going into a procedure that is 50/50 to start. The odds just
are not in her favor. Why would trade her life now for those odds?
Izzy wants to go to kindergarten. She wants to learn to read. She
has more music to dance to.
When we discussed this with the kids, Phineas decided we should
bring Papa, my dad, in to help Izzy stay comfortable. My dad is a
hospice nurse and Phin knows he helps people who are dieing be
comfortable and that is what Phin wants for his sister. If there
are no options to keep Izzy with us, Phin wants her not to suffer.
That kid is so amazing. He is going to do wonderful things to help
the world. I know it. He will take his sister with him the entire
way.
Phin didn't realize it, but we did start the process for Izzy to
receive hospice care this week. The nurse came out Monday to
explain the program to us. A child qualifies for hospice services
if their prognosis is that they will not live to be an adult. (In
adults, it is usually that the patient will not live more than 6
months.) Even before we heard from Pittsburgh, we decided to move
forward with the hospice care. They will help us with what we need
for her medically and build a relationship with us before Izzy
declines further. And they said they will help us create memories.
As Izzy sobbed this morning from thinking about dieing, learning
that hospice will be working with us comforted her and Phin.
We have chosen to make the most of Izzy's final years and hope
that she beats the odds against her. If anyone can do it, she can.
She has surprised all of us before.
47 Message(s) from Carepages
Posted May 19, 2013 4:31pm
by Nicole Hoagland
Just catching up on your updates! So many hard decisions! I
think it's great giving izzy and normal as possible life. That's
our goal always as well. Have you guys done a make a wish yet! We
just did Lorelei's and it was amazing! Good luck, hang in there and
as u know live life to the fullest that's all any of us can do.
Heart Hugs:)
Posted May 4, 2013 1:27am
by JOY K
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am sorry that Transplant
is not a good option, but I believe you have Izzy's best interest
at all times! She will defy odds, she already has... many heart
hugs for your little Rose from this mommy of another little Rose!
Joy
cp sillyjilly07
Posted May 3, 2013 10:08pm
by Stefenie Jacks
Crying.....absolutely crying my dear friend. Just reading these
words has left me heartbroken that this is where your journey has
lead you. I pray that you get longer with Izzy and I will pray
every single night that you get much more time.
I have been so blessed to have been able to get to know you
through the journey of our special kiddos and I have watched Izzy
grow into this beautifully precious little girl that makes me smile
every time I see her pictures Mel. {{{HUG}}}
Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you
guys. <3 your special family so much!

Posted Apr 23, 2013 9:39am
by Jean Toomey
YOU ARE ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND PRAYERS AND YOUR STRENGTH NEVER
CEASES TO AMAZE ME. GOD BLESS YOU. AUNT JEAN & UNCLE DON
Posted Apr 22, 2013 9:57am
by Rachel Kain
I am in tears, because how can I not be. I know that whatever
time Izzy has left will be a gift for all of you. What a terrible
decision to have to make, but you are all so thoughtful and wise
and loving. I am blessed to know you. Please know that you are
always held close in my heart. And that I am here whenever you need
an ear or a shoulder. Hugs to all of you.
Posted Apr 21, 2013 8:45pm
by Donna Telly
My heart aches for all of you. I respect your decisions as
difficult as it must be. Know that Izzy and all of you will be in
good hands. Many hugs and prayers are with you.
Posted Apr 20, 2013 3:35pm
by Teresa Conley
Many, many hugs to your family!!!
It is heartbreaking that such decisions have to be made for anyone,
but especially for a child. :(
Izzy is such a little fighter! Keep it up Izzy! Beat those odds
& keep dancing!!! :)
I hope hospice will bring comfort to you all. Keep making memories
and keep up the great work of giving Izzy the most normal, fun life
possible.
(((Hugs)))
Posted Apr 20, 2013 2:29pm
by Marti VanRavenswaay
Well, I really tried, but couldn't hold back the tears. UGH.
I've loved your precious children from the first time I read on
Izzy's care page. Izzy is a little doll and I really want one LIKE
her!!! She's such a live wire -- and appreciates life like few do.
MAKE THOSE MEMORIES!!! And Phineas -- what an amazing young man!
You guys as parents have done an amazing job with your children --
they ARE amazing! Prayers continue, as always.
MEMORIES
Posted Apr 20, 2013 12:36pm
by Andrea Nicholson
I actually read this last night, while Kevin and I were on our
way out for a date. I stopped reading and choked back the tears.
Over dinner, we discussed that Ben and I are going to come out and
visit you all for a long weekend this summer. I will coordinate
with Freddy- and can stay whereever. Most people want to go to the
shore on summer vacation. I am coming to Detroit. It will be great
for the kids to meet and make memories. And way better than the
jersey shore.....
Love you, Andrea
Posted Apr 20, 2013 9:32am
by Teresa Falzarano
I can't imagine the strength it takes to make this type of
decision for your child. You guys are awesome! Know that you are
ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers. Love & hugs
Aunt Teresa
Posted Apr 20, 2013 5:37am
by Dennis Egan
I wish I had words to offer you comfort at such a difficult
time...all I have is tears and prayers.
As a parent this just breaks my heart.
Shannon
Posted Apr 20, 2013 12:17am
by Linelle Giles
Such a heart wrenching decision but obviously made with a lot of
thought and love. She is a remarkable girl with an amazing family.
I <3 izzy!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:36pm
by Mary Reinard
My thoughts and prayers are with you. God will be there to help
and put you all in the right path of life . God bless all of
you
Posted Apr 19, 2013 9:42pm
by Jennifer Dougherty
Praying for you all. Your desire to give Izzy the best quality
of life you can is a true testament to your love for her.
Jen - A Heart Mom you have never met
Posted Apr 19, 2013 6:39pm
by Trisha King
Prayers and love... you are the best parents for her and once
again you have shown that.

Posted Apr 19, 2013 5:02pm
by June Spriggs
Dance Izzy Dance!! If you can possibly work it out please come
and stay with us for a few days. We will put you up in one of our
Suites. There are lots of fun things to do here with the kids
Paddle boat, dune rides, duck boat, the beach, parks, the board
walk, fishing etc, and lots of great restaurants, and other
distractions for mom & dad while we entertain the kids. We
would love to see you and create some of those happy memories. Lots
of love, June & David
Posted Apr 19, 2013 3:26pm
by Amy St.Clair
I am reading your update with tear filled eyes. I believe in my
heart this is the right decision for Izzy, but it had to be your
family's decision so I did not say anything or offer advice. I did
not want to influence you either way.
Although Madilynn was never approved for transplant, we did
discuss the option with the transplant team at St.Louis Children's
Hospital. Their opinion was the same as for Izzy. The team was
split on yes or no and decided to decline her for the same reasons
you have listed. You are right, pulmonary atresia kids have the
lowest survival rates. And it is heart breaking news.
You are an incredible, loving family. You have amazing children.
Phinn and Taylor have so much in common...wisdom beyond their
years. And I strongly believe their sisters will make them better
men, better fathers.
I wish I could hug you right now! How far is Michigan???
Many hugs,
Amy St.Clair
Posted Apr 19, 2013 3:03pm
by Elaine Blaser
My heart goes out to Izzy,you and your family.
Prayers prayers and more prayers.
Love Elaine
Posted Apr 19, 2013 2:18pm
by Taffy Graessle
I am in complete awe of all of you Melonie and Dale, Phin and
beautiful Izzy! Lots of love, hope and prayers being sent your way!
God be with all of you!
Love, Aunt Taffy
Posted Apr 19, 2013 2:16pm
by Heather Steingruebl
You are amazing, wonderful parents. Your grace and courage as
you give Izzy the best and brightest days possible fills my heart
and inspires me do better at my own parenting journey. All of my
love and good thoughts are headed your way-I wish I could be there
in person to give you a hug and sit just quietly and smell the
flowers.
Posted Apr 19, 2013 1:45pm
by Liz Shaw
you are all very brave. Keeping you in my prayers
Posted Apr 19, 2013 1:00pm
by Mary Elizabeth Brown
(((Hugs)))) what a little man Phin is. So wise and caring. Such
hard, such crappy decisions, but so thoughtfully planned. You all
remain in my thoughts and prayers.
And we are choosing a date for drinks STAT!!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 12:11pm
by Janet Zingen
Difficult choices but it is a wonderful you are thinking of all
that can be done to make Izzy's life a great one. Prayers and hugs
to all of you.
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:22am
by Laura Hermann
Prayers to all of you. Izzy has lots of people pulling for her.
I think about her every day as do so many others. Hugs
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:21am
by Jennifer Abler
My wishes for for fun filled and peaceful days are with all of
you. You are always thought of often. You're amazing parents of an
amazing little girl and a remarkable son. Love to you all!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:11am
by Bonnie Hunter
Yes, let Izzy dance and enjoy her life! Phin is destined for
great things. With all that you have going on in your life, you are
one special family!
Best,
Bonnie
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:09am
by Amy Fleck
I know there are no words that will be comforting; I wish I had
some. I am thinking of all of you and sending good thoughts and
prayers. I don't think anyone could be doing a better job of
selflessly acting in Izzy (and Phin's) best interests. Your
children could certainly not be any more loved or well cared for.
xoxo
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:09am
by Kristin Farris
No words can explain the feelings as I read this post. My
thoughts, hugs and prayers go out to you, Izzy and your family.
What an awesome mom for having Izzy experience so much life! Thank
you for your openess with all of your posts. Blessings, Kristin cp:
EthanNicholas
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:09am
by Matthew Bredeweg
I am so sorry for you and Izzy and your family. This is not at
all fair. We will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:05am
by Diana Bryant
You bet Izzy has a lot more music to dance to. She is a
remakable young lady. You are also right, if anyone can beat the
odds, Izzy can. I have never met this beautiful little girl, only
thru your pictures and your posts. Just the thought of her leaving
this earth makes me very sad. God Bless Izzy and her brother Phinn
what a wonderful brother she has.
Diana Bryant
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:02am
by Mandy Welsh
Praying so hard for you all!!! Love and hugs!!!!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 11:01am
by Bridgette Rosek
I can't imagine how difficult of a decision this was for your
family but I am sure it is the right one, you have done the best
for Izzy and given her a wonderful life so far. We wish you guys
the best.

Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:55am
by Erica Fonck
Keeping you all close to our hearts...can't imagine how hard
this all has been and continues to be.....sending love and
strength!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:40am
by Mitzi LaBarge
Izzy has the best, loving and caring parents on her side making
sure she lives her life to the fullest everyday, that is a decision
you have already made. Keeping you all in my heart and prayers!
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:39am
by Merry Donn (Gastambide)
Thinking of you and your family...Merry from Make-A-Wish
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:39am
by Kelly Kalis
I wish had words....I wish I could be there right now and give
you a hug! I will continue to pray for Izzy's comfort and
happiness. Phin is as amazing as his sister and I suspect it has to
do with their brave parents. Praying for all of you during the road
ahead.
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:36am
by Kelly Curtis
I can't even imagine all of the emotions that you guys have been
dealing with the last few months. I'm glad that you finally heard
from them, though. I hate that you have to make these choices, but
you show such strength and grace!
Always thinking about Izzy!
Kelly
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:34am
by Paula Wodzisz
What an unimaginable decision you are making and my heart breaks
for how hard it had to be to think about making this decision. Phin
is amazing and you are right...he is going to change the world. I
will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers...God Bless.
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:33am
by Wendy Miller
Sending hugs your way.
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:31am
by Cindy Taylor
This news brought tears to my eyes and a rip down my heart. I
have prayed for Izzy and you all, and I will continue to pray
without ceasing as your family continues together to enjoy Izzy's
precious life with you for as long as the Giver of Life allows.
Praying for many years, that even hospice caregivers will be
surprised. That said, I appreciate the brave decision you made and
believe it to be the best. You're very wise, Mel, and you're a
wonderful mom, from what I have seen.
Love you,
Cindy
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:31am
by Billie Keith
I have no words just lots of tears at what an amazing blessing
Izzy is to such an amazing family. Prayers for all of you as you
live your lives with love, hope and courage. ♥
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:30am
by Jonna Ellis
Oh Sweet Izzy, you are one strong amazing little girl who have
ALOT of people that think of you daily & want you to be
comfortable. I work with Papa Rick and we talk about you. Hugs
& Kisses are sent your way sweetie- Jonna
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:30am
by Holly Smith
Oh, my god, Melonie. I can't imagine.
Holly
Posted Apr 19, 2013 10:28am
by Linda Koss
Bless your hearts - keeping you all close in prayer. What an
amazing brother Izzy has - you are all such an inspiration. God
bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment