Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Boo!

Last week, I had to see our family doctor for a lung infection. Of course, the majority of my appointment was spent discussing Izzy (as is the case no matter which person the doc is seeing--me, my mom, my dad, Izzy . . . ). Anywho, I asked the doc what she thought about Izzy's cardiologist and pulmonologist/allergist/immunologist deciding that Izzy's cough (that has persisted through illness and health since July) must just be Izzy holding onto infections extra long. Our primary doc had not been provided this information. Needless to say, she was not pleased and thought it was a cop out on the part of the specialists. It just doesn't add up that Izzy would start coughing (only when laying down) in July. Maybe she held on to infections extra long last year, but she's been on Hizentra for over 10 months. She has been relatively infection free since then. Why would this start now?
So, the primary care doc decided that she was going to have to get to the bottom of this if necessary. If Izzy continued to cough at night, she had to be seen Monday.

Dale took Izzy in on Monday and the doc noted early signs of a sinus infection. Izzy was started on antibiotics and oral steroids. The steroids were simply to open her nasal passages. Izzy was also started on allergy medicine just to see. (Izzy has gone through allergy testing previously and found nothing, but it was the glaring possibility that nobody has ever treated with regard to the coughing.)
Izzy seemed to be doing fairly well with that. Dale and I weren't convinced that the allergy medicine was working, but Izzy seemed to be getting better.

All of that changed this morning. Izzy started getting a temp at school, was complaining of pain. By the time she got home at noon, she didn't care about food and only wanted to sleep. (And, of course, she vomited.)

Izzy returned to the primary care doc this afternoon. Her lungs are all messed up, but luckily her oxygen saturation remained above 90. She still had a fever and was complaining of chest pain. Izzy did have chest x-rays, but we don't know the results yet. If past practice is any indication, Izzy's doc will be calling us soon with those results. Anyway, from physical examination, Izzy was given a shot of steroids for her lungs and a shot of antibiotics. And her oral doses of those were once again changed and increased.

We gave Izzy xoponex this evening and her evening dose of pulmicort right before bed as we do every night. Normally, that helps her relax enough to sleep. But tonight, as I carried Izzy to her room, I could feel each breath rattle in her lungs. Her heart is beating harder and faster as well. She is clearly getting worse than she was earlier today.

I'm afraid she'll end up in the hospital before the night is through. Night is always the hardest time. We have her propped up in bed to help her breathe while she sleeps, but she never stays that way no matter how many times I move her. Our hope for tonight is that when Izzy's nightly aspirin wears off, the fever does not return (and we're not woken due to her violently vomiting).

Please keep our girl in your thoughts,

Mel

PS
Two minutes after I posted, Izzy's doctor called. She has pneumonia in her left upper lung. If she gets worse, we must go to the hospital :(

PPS
Since we got these today and she is gorgeous, I had to share Izzy's preschool picture:
IMAG1098

 24 Message(s) from Carepages


Posted Oct 29, 2012 8:15am
Hang in there, Izzy....you are such a beautiful girl!

Heart8
Posted Oct 27, 2012 6:38pm
She is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!

Posted Oct 27, 2012 1:48pm
Oh, what a little doll-baby!! So pretty! :)D

Posted Oct 27, 2012 1:39pm
Beautiful picture. She sure looks older than preschool here. I am praying for her quick recovery. XXX OOO

Posted Oct 27, 2012 9:14am
OMG!! She is all grown UP. She looks like a princess. Hope all goes well. Mary and D

Posted Oct 27, 2012 8:12am
Beautiful picture. I will be praying she feels better very soon.

Posted Oct 27, 2012 7:57am
Beautiful Izzy! That's a gorgeous picture. I'm praying Izzy gets through the pneumonia VERY speedily and am SO glad the doctor FOUND it!!!
Hugs and prayers,
Cindy

Posted Oct 27, 2012 2:47am
GORGEOUS is right!!! What a little doll!!!! She's going to be a drop-dead beauty in just a few short years!!! Please Dear God lay your healing hands upon this precious child and heal her sick lungs.
Sending hugs, love and prayers for all.

Posted Oct 27, 2012 12:48am
What a precious girl. Keeping all of you in prayer!

Posted Oct 27, 2012 12:48am
What a precious girl. Keeping all of you in prayer!

Posted Oct 27, 2012 12:43am
Izzy is a beautiful girl and I hope she feels better soon.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 11:46pm
Thinking of Izzy and hoping the night is restful. Hugs.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 11:20pm
So beautiful. Crossing my fingers and praying that you won't end up in the hospital tonight.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 11:11pm
What a beautiful picture, she looks soooo old. You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Love, Aunt Mary

Posted Oct 26, 2012 11:08pm
you are all in my thoughts and prayers. hope Izzy has a comfortable night. her school picture is great!

Posted Oct 26, 2012 11:03pm
I am keeping Izzy and the rest of you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you don't have to go to the hospital. On a side note, her school picture is very cute. Sending prayers, and positive vibes your way.
Nicole

Posted Oct 26, 2012 10:30pm
What an awesome picture!
Praying that Izzy's lungs will be better in the morning, the fever will be gone, she will be hungry, and that she will want to play. Thank you Lord for answering our prayers. AMEN.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 10:02pm
Sending healing thoughts to you beautiful girl and hoping that she doesn't have to be hospitalized!!
Best,
Bonnie

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:42pm
Oh no! I'm so sorry that Izzy is sick. I truly hope that you guys don't end up in the hospital tonight. I also hope all of the medication increases help her feel better quickly and that you all get a restful nights sleep tonight.
I love the picture - It is beautiful and her eyes are stunning!
Kelly
cp: JacksHeartUpdate

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:38pm
our prayers are with you.
love from Elaine and Great Grandpa Charles....

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:36pm
She is beautiful, indeed! Who did she get her lovely eyes from? I'll be praying for her and quick healing.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:35pm
oh my good..IZZY is adorable in that pic! Praying she gets through the night and doesn't vomit or end up in hospital {{hugs}}

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:29pm
So sorry :( ... but I do adore the pic. Let me know if you need anything, especially if you end up going to the hospital. We could take Phin or something.

Posted Oct 26, 2012 9:28pm
Wishing you a night of sleep and no fever. What a beautiful Izzy!

No comments:

Post a Comment