Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Pain

This week has been defined by pain--uncontrolled pain.

My sweet girl woke up early Monday morning due to sudden pressure pain in her chest. Morphine didn't help. More morphine didn't help. She said the pain felt like waves crashing in her chest. I got her to move enough to go to school, but she didn't last an hour.

At home, she sat on the couch in pain. I gave her more morphine. The chest pain moved to her head. She was in agony. Then she vomited and all was right in the world for an hour.

Then her chest pain returned. It moved to tummy and head and she just laid. She refused anything for the pain. After hours more of this, we forced pain medicine. She vomited again. She perked up a little, but the pain remained. With a little time, her pain eased. As we read her a story at bedtime, sudden sharp paints returned to her chest. She went to sleep in pain.

Tuesday morning, she woke earlier due to squeezing pain in her chest. She was given morphine. It didn't help. We gave her a bath. It helped slightly, but the pain remained. She laid on the couch. The pain lasted for hours. Finally, she asked for food at 10:45 (the first meal in two days). She ate. She went to school. The pain persisted. She came home less than two hours later.

After sitting in pain for hours, she improved, but she requested to go to be early. Again, as we read to her, she got sudden sharp, persistent, poking chest pains. Her extended release morphine was given, but she went to sleep in pain again.

This morning, she called out at 4:30. She was scared. Her tummy hurt at a 1, but only needed a hug. She fell back asleep. An hour later, she was startled awake by pain again--sharp chest pains. It was way too early for extended release morphine, so I gave a PRN dose of normal morphine. She didn't think it would help her sleep, but at 5:40 am, she needed sleep.

She's still sleeping now. I hope the pain can be controlled today.

2 comments:

  1. This breaks my heart. My cousin stant thoughts and prayers are with you and her 😢

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mel! I'm so sorry Izzy has to suffer so and that you are helpless to fix it. It must really feel overwhelming. I'm sorry that all I can do for you is wish and hope and send hugs and good thoughts. Here's to a better rest of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete