Do you remember that feeling you got when you'd walk down the stairs to
the basement with the lights off as a kid? The fear would build in your
stomach. You could literally feel the knots tightening with each step.
You moved so slowly, careful with each step, afraid of what might grab
you or that you'd fall if misjudged the landing. But most of all you
feared what lived at the bottom of those stairs, waiting to attack when
you fell. It could only be a horrible beast that lived there because the
sounds that came from basement, the cobwebs in the corners, the cold
hard floor, could only be home to a monster, just waiting to attack some
kid sent down to grab a folding chair. That fear would take a hold on
you and just squeeze. Do you remember the tightening, the slight nausea?
We live there--in that dark place, full of fear, on a downward
staircase. The only difference is that we don't know where we're going,
how long the staircase is, the size of the stairs (which always change)
and whether there is a landing or only a hole at the bottom. We can't
even tell whether the next step will be small or a giant tumble down.
Will there be a landing? When there is a landing, how far does it go
before we start to head down again?
I think we were trudging along a landing for a while. Or were we simply
walking down regularly spaced steps? Either way, we were in a safer
space for awhile. We may still be in that safe space, but I don't know.
Everything is so uncertain. It seems like there has been a fall, but
maybe I've been falling all along and I don't know what normalcy feels
like any more.
Forgive me for mixing metaphors, but after 10.5
years of treading water, trying desperately to keep ourselves from
drowning, we're tired. Each time we take a tumble, we have to expend
more energy to stay alive, but we don't have any more. Neither does
Izzy.
She is so tired--exhausted. If you caught my post last weekend,
you'll know how exhausted she is. She is afraid of that exhaustion. She
doesn't want to admit that she is in frequent pain. She doesn't want us
to know how bad she feels all of the time because she doesn't want us
to worry as much as she worries. Of course, that makes us worry all the
more.
No matter what you see in the pictures; no matter how good
she looks in person, behind Izzy's smile is an exhausted, sick child.
She tires easily. She recovers very slowly. Driving is miserable for
her. She doesn't have the stamina to think of games, but she loves to
play. She wants visitors, but does not know how to entertain any longer
because she doesn't have the energy that most kids want to use for
playing. She misses being involved.
As Izzy slows down more, she
gets so much sadder because she feels she is not fun. She wants people,
but doesn't know how to ask and she doesn't know what to do. So, I'm
asking now. I know it is scary to join us on our downward staircase, but
will you join us? Izzy is going to be home a lot this summer. Phin has
almost 4 weeks of camp away from home. Izzy will be lonely. Will you
visit her? Will you come play a couple of board games or watch a movie
with her? Will you have a picnic? Dale and I need to work when we are
home, but we would love for you to spend some time with Izzy. Izzy would
love it. You can read together or build a blanket fort. She loves
baking. Our house is open (not necessarily neat and clean, but
available). Izzy can't drive. Izzy doesn't have the energy for hours of
fun, but she needs to engage. If we don't find a way to get Izzy some
connection to the rest of the world this summer, she is going to be left
on the dark, scary downward climb alone a lot. We will do our best, but
we don't have enough hours in the day. We need help. Please, will you
visit our girl?

ABSOLUTELY!!! I would love to spend some time with her over the summer. You have my phone number, we can make arrangements after school is out. She’s my girl! I’ll do what I can for her. It breaks my heart that such a young child has to go through this difficult life.
ReplyDeleteSince the response has been so positive, I created a sign up genius to facilitate. If you are willing to commit to a visit, please sign up at this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e084ea5ac22aafa7-playdates
DeleteThank you 😊
I have followed you for a long time and I would love to help except that I live in California. Would Izzy like a pen pal? I would be happy to write her frequently and send small items.
ReplyDeleteIzzy loves getting mail. Email me if you're interested in writing to Izzy from afar. My email address is meloniestothers@gmail.com. I'll get you contact information.
DeleteIf I didn't leave in Wisconsin I would like to spend time with Izzy too. I like the idea of a pen pal. We could write, exchange pictures, gifts, etc.
ReplyDeleteIzzy loves getting mail. Email me if you're interested in writing to Izzy from afar. My email address is meloniestothers@gmail.com. I'll get you contact information.
DeleteI just e:mailed you. I am from Iowa and wish I lived closer. I would love to visit Izzy, but I can visit through letters and surprise packages. This is a great idea!
DeleteHugs to all of you!