Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Migraines


 The last couple of weeks have been especially hard on our girl. She has been suffering abdominal migraine after abdominal migraine. They have been lasting days. She can't eat anything and when she does, she loses it all. She gets so hungry, but can't keep anything down. It makes her so incredibly sad. She misses out on fun and school. She hates it all.  On top of the abdominal migraines, she is now getting headache migraines as well, complete with light sensitivity.


We hit the tipping point last week and set an appointment with a neurologist. Izzy's GI doc and cardiologist had been working together on the abdominal migraines, but since they are no longer controlled, we had to see the true specialist here.

Thankfully, we were able to get in to see a neurologist today. I was skeptical going in because this was not the neurologist I wanted to see nor the one recommended by Izzy's doctors, but she was available, so we took it. I'm glad we did because she was thorough, kind, and very well-educated. Not only did she appear very, very competent in the problems we were addressing (migraines), but the overall picture of Izzy. This may be the first specialist who was not only looking at their system, but the entire package that is Izzy. She also had a ton of knowledge of 22q deletion syndrome. While not an issue today, she was thinking down the road with other things we may need to do for Izzy because of the 22q. Our appointment lasted 2 hours because of the doctor's thoroughness.

She woke up feeling good for the first time in days. It didn't last long, but made us all happy.

Izzy finally eating after a migraine that last 3+ days.
Ultimately, she decided that Izzy is probably suffering from abdominal migraines to an extent, but that other things are at play as well. She wants to get the migraines addressed and is doubling Izzy's migraine maintenance medications to try and prevent the migraines in the first place. She also gave us meds for when Izzy is in the extreme pain, which she was during the appointment--vomiting in the lobby :( If this doesn't work, the doctor is looking into some of the other preventative medications. Unfortunately, many of the big gun migraine meds counteract Izzy's heart meds or could worse her heart problems. The doctor wanted to be sure she checked all counterindications before starting another new med for Izzy. We are hopeful.


Finally, some more pictures from the last couple of weeks. She may have felt lousy most of the time, but that doesn't stop her smile. Gotta love this girl!




Izzy did get her holter monitor last week (in the picture). We have not heard the results yet.
 Thanks for checking in on our girl.

Mel
 

12 comments:

  1. Not sure if the first comment went through but wanted to say that not getting the doc you wanted might have turned out to be a really good thing. She seems to be able to see the big picture which is exactly what Izzy needs! Please come out and visit us again at the B&B if you can ever get away. We love you all and keep you in our hearts and thoughts. Love June & David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind! I was looking for dates to come out this summer earlier this week. We will come of we can. As long as Izzy can drive, we will try to stop by this weekend when you are on this side of the state. Love to you both!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the doctor you saw spent such a long time checking out all the issues that affects Izzy and that you came away feeling good about it. I hope the new meds works and brings relief from the migraines. Poor Izzy ..she such a tropper though, with that big ol' smile of hers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hope the new meds will give Izzy some relief. The new doctor sounds wonderful. Hope she can work some magic for sweet Izzy and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We hope so too. Seems to be working so far. fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. The migraines didn't stop her smile or her style!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new blog site and love catching up on how Izzy and her family is doing. I feel like I have a lot to catch up on.
    So good too hear you got such a great neurologist. I hope she finds things that will work great for get. My son Andrew, now grown and transplanted has had migrations since he was 4 or 5 as well and still gets them (at 26) but not as badly. I hope Izzy finds many days of relief. God bless you and bring you others to help make Izzy feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you followed up and like the new blog!

      Delete
  6. I just love this new blog site. Izzy is beautiful as always. I just love to see her smile and, man, is she still styling or what? I am so happy to hear that the Neurologist did such a thorough job in time she spent with her. Sounds like there is a good plan for getting the migraines under control. I will be praying that she will find some relief soon. God bless you and all you do for Izzy. Thanks so much for taking the time to update us. I am so fond of you and your family and pray everyday for all of you. <3

    ReplyDelete