Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

No Food

Izzy has not improved with the new med. She may actually be doing worse. It is so hard to tell. She is still not eating. She feels full frequently. She is in a lot of pain pretty much constantly. So, basically, since the end of the school year, Izzy has not been eating at least 2 meals out of her day. She's not even finishing ice cream and hasn't been since May (I think).

Last week, she went days without eating anything, so we had to do something. Unfortunately, Izzy's gastroenterologist was out of town, so Izzy ended up at the primary care doctor. Our fears were confirmed: Izzy had lost 3 pounds--10% of her body weight--in three weeks! Do you know how long it takes for us to get Izzy to even gain a pound?????? Losing three pounds in three weeks is crazy!!!!!!! And she is carrying extra water weight, so she has lost even more.

Primary care doc ran all kinds of tests and everything came back basically clean. Izzy did have an ear infection, but that didn't explain anything. She was started on an antibiotic for the ear, but that was it.
Inexplicably, Izzy seemed to do better the next two days. She actually ate like an Izzy (not as much as a typical six year old would eat, but better than Izzy had been eating). I was so excited, thinking that maybe Izzy had a GI infection that was being helped by the antibiotics for the ear. But, after two days, she wasn't eating again--leaving almost entirely full cups of ice cream untouched. It is heartbreaking to watch her want to eat and then she can't. She is in so much pain and just lays her head on the table during meal times.

Thankfully, Izzy saw her gastroenterologist today. We love him!! Unfortunately, his answer was that he had to think. This was too complicated. One of the reasons that we love him is because he is honest. He wants to do what is best for Izzy without needlessly putting her through procedures. So, he is thinking. In the meantime, Izzy will get an ultrasound of her belly tomorrow. Dr. Gebara wants to rule out ascites (build-up of fluid in the space between the lining of the abdomen and abdominal organs) and see what else may be going on. Once he gets those results and has thought more, we will formulate more of a plan.

I'm hoping Dr. G finds something that is easy to fix so Izzy can eat again (and stop vomiting--she vomited at least 3 times on the way to see Dr. G just this morning). She doesn't need to eat as much as a typical kid her size, just eat like an Izzy. If you've ever seen Izzy eat, you would know how weird it is that I am wishing she would just return to her prior baseline. She really can't afford to lose any more weight. She simply doesn't have any to lose.

While we wait, Dale and I are trying everything we can to get Izzy to eat. This weekend, she only had to eat a couple bites of her breakfast to get ice cream afterward. Tonight, she had the gluten free sweet and sour shrimp from Pei Wei. She didn't eat much, but she did eat a little. Whatever we can get into her, we are trying. (And no, she won't drink more than a sip or two of shakes, smoothies, or anything like that.)

2014-07-16_08-16-47

No matter what she is going through though, she still has a smile. This pic is from both kids tonight.

Mel

13 Message(s) from carepage

Posted Jul 18, 2014 5:31pm
by Elaine Blaser
Prayers coming from Florida for Izzy and your entire family.. Love you all

Posted Jul 18, 2014 8:56am
by Amy St.Clair
They are such beautiful children! I continue to keep Izzy in my prayers.
Thinking of you always,
Amy St.Clair

Posted Jul 18, 2014 7:03am
by Laurie Couillard
I am so sorry to hear Miss Izzy isn't able to eat and drink. :( I totally understand where you are coming from. It's hard enough to have our kiddos maintain weight. It always amazes me that no matter what Miss Izzy goes through and deals with she usually has a big smile. :) Praying things get better for Izzy. Hang in there.

Posted Jul 17, 2014 10:53pm
by sally powers
We were out of town so I hadn't been following as closely. So sorry to hear Izzy's been dealing with this all summer and not eating! Thinking of you all and hoping she get something to get her back to her ice cream! Hugs.

Posted Jul 17, 2014 10:01pm
by Jan Menary
Thinking of and praying for your sweet Izzy!!

Posted Jul 17, 2014 5:35pm
by Renee McConahy
Hi Mel. It has so long since I have shared a post. I am so sorry to hear of Izzy's continued eating issues and her pain. I can only imagine how that affects you as her parents. I am not in town this week but I still have a special book that I bought for Izzy when I was in Nevada last September and I really want to give it to her in person.. She probably will not remember much about me but she and all of your family is always in my thoughts and prayers. Throw out some dates that could work for me to stop over after work/ daycare for a visit. With love,
Renee

Posted Jul 17, 2014 11:12am
by Marsha McDaniels
Just sending good karma and hugs your way today. Your children are beautiful.

Posted Jul 17, 2014 7:46am
by Kelly Curtis
Thank you for the update. It sounds like she has an excellent doctor who is going to make the best possible decisions for her even if it takes a little time to figure out. Hopefully, you are able to get some answers and a good plan quickly!

Posted Jul 17, 2014 12:08am
by Cheryl Wegener
Love seeing these smiles! Thank you for the update. I am sorry that this summer has been such a struggle. Hugs and prayers.

Set1_rose
Posted Jul 16, 2014 11:41pm
by June Spriggs
Great smiles! It must be hard to see Izzy not eat and Izzy must be anxious which makes it even harder to eat. Hoping that Dr.G can come up with a plan. Lots of love to all of you. June & David

Posted Jul 16, 2014 10:15pm
by Terri Maxim
praying for the results to give answers for the dr. to make decisions that will improve Izzy's health. Praying always for all of you. I absolutely love this picture of both kids. hugs to you and blessings

Encourage_hug
Posted Jul 16, 2014 9:55pm
by Melody Vandee
Always have Izzy in my prayers. I pray tomorrows ultra sound helps to resolve what is going on and Izzy can eat again without having discomfort. Beautiful smiles from Izzy and Phin!

Posted Jul 16, 2014 9:04pm
by Bonnie Hunter
Always that light-up-the-world smile! Darling photo of both. Hoping!
Best,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment