Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sixth Birthday Fun!

Quite a bit has happened since I last updated. Most of it good. We have just been so busy that there has been no time to update. With Izzy's birthday last Monday, I had to share the fun we've enjoyed!

I'll start with where we left off though in heart month. We did so much. There was the Hearts of Hope "Day of Hearts" for CHD families, where the kids got to dance, play games, and Izzy was even part of a magic show!


Then Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week where we did a huge fundraiser at the kids' school, raising over $2,100 for the Children's Heart Foundation through an elementary school coin drive!




Izzy was a star the entire week since her picture was all over the school. You know that she loved that. Of course, that same week was Valentine's Day, so there was a dance at school. Izzy had so much fun! She was able to hang out with her best friends, walking around the school like a big kid. AND she was dancing with the big girls too!!!


Unfortunately, between the big week at school, staying up late from the dance, and germs, Izzy got terribly sick on Valentine's Day and even had to miss her party at school.



The only place she wanted to be was on the floor :(



We were extremely close to bringing her to the hospital many times. In fact, there was a point that Izzy asked us to take her to the hospital and I am fairly certain that the hospice staff thought we should have brought her there. But we didn't want her catching anything else and we managed to keep her hydrated and on oxygen. She had a virus (metapnuemo) so the hospital could not have done more.



Izzy was pretty much over the virus itself after 5 days, but it took her another week to really eat. The next week, Izzy got to take us to see a firehouse with the Daisies. That was a lot of fun!




Finally, it was time for the big number 6! See if you can guess Izzy's chosen theme:

























Special thanks to my sister for making the amazing cake!









Izzy had the best rainbow birthday ever!!!!!
Our fun didn't end then though. The next day, Izzy got to play with her new toys.




She was even cooking! Izzy LOVES to cook and so we got her a kids' cooking set with knives that actually cut (but are safer and small for kids).


And of course, birthday girl's choice for dinner out--Maggianos!












On Izzy's actual birthday morning, we surprised her with tickets for "Disney On Ice"!


That night was beautiful, so Izzy got to play outside!


Since it was St. Patrick's Day, Phin made Izzy a hat.


It was an amazing couple of days and I think our girl has taken being 6 to heart. She has started behaving even better! One can only hope for the best. Our fun continued this weekend as well. Yesterday, we got to go to the park for the first time this year!!!





Izzy was on a mission when I took these photos! I told her we wouldn't be able to go on the swings and she was sure we could!








Yes, she is copping an attitude. I wasn't wearing boots and that frozen water was well over 6 inches deep. I wasn't lifting her up!



She forgave me though when I reminded her that we have swings at home without puddles underneathe.




And to end, today we went to see "Disney On Ice". Izzy was in her glory. Phin didn't seem to into it, but claimed at the end that he loved it. We had great seats and lots of fun!



Izzy had to wear all of her Minnie Mouse clothes!










I think we celebrated Izzy's 6th birthday in style. She had so much fun and exclaimed that each day was the best!
On the serious front, we continue to deal with the kids' fears, anger, and frustration. When Izzy got sick, Phinney got really worried. He was even trying to find a way to replace Izzy in his life now so it wouldn't hurt him so much to lose her. It has been heartbreaking to help him understand that nobody can or will replace her. Thankfully, he has wonderful therapists to work with and his teacher is awesome!

We have finally reached the therapeutic level for Izzy's sildenafil (viagra) as well. It took us a couple of months to get there, but this weekend we did the final increase. I personally believe she is doing better. Her oxygen is better at night and she doesn't seem to be as tired all of the time. I don't think it is fixing anything, but it is nice to have her feeling better.

We hope all of you are getting spring as well and that spring will actually get sprung around here. It is nice to go outside, but 20 degrees isn't really spring weather, even if it is warmer than we have been for months!

Take Care,

Mel

16 Message(s) from carepages


Posted Apr 19, 2014 4:37am
LOVE THE POSITIVE UPDATE OF SUCH FUN FOR ALL!!! PRAYERS ALWAYS.

Posted Apr 9, 2014 1:00pm
Thank you for sharing your pictures. God bless all of you..Hugs to all from Florida..I will try to send Florida sunshine and plenty of rainbows also.

Rainbow1Posted Mar 31, 2014 9:08pm
Thank you for sharing your beautiful family!
Hugs,
The St.Clair's

Posted Mar 30, 2014 10:56am
Wow! What an exciting month. Happy Birthday Izzy.

Posted Mar 26, 2014 2:52pm
Always in my thoughts and prayers!! xox

Posted Mar 25, 2014 12:36pm
Thanks so much for keeping us all posted on Izzy and sharing her 6th birthday with us. As always the pictures were great. It was good to see that familiar smile and lovely face. Loved the dejected picture at the swings. God Bless you all and I hope Izzy and your family have a great spring and summer.
Diana Bryant

Posted Mar 24, 2014 10:50am
Happy Belated Birthday Beautiful Izzy!!
Love LOVE the skirt ;-)

Posted Mar 24, 2014 5:49am
Happy Birthday, Izzy. Loved all the pictures, thanks so much for sharing. What a great brother you are to your sister, Phin. Looks like fun was had by all. Praying always for all of you. Blessings to all and may you continue to have good days with Izzie. Terri :)

Rainbow1Posted Mar 24, 2014 5:22am
Thank you for sharing all the pictures, I love them!!

Set1_rosePosted Mar 23, 2014 9:12pm
Happy
Birthday Izzy!! Phin you are the best! Lots of love from June & David
Posted Mar 23, 2014 9:11pm
great pictures and looks like lots of fun was had. Love Ma

Balloons1Posted Mar 23, 2014 8:51pm
Happy 6th Birthday Miss Izzy! I love all of the new pictures of you and your family celebrating your special day! What an awesome big brother Phin is, to make you such a cool hat for St. Patrick's Day!

Posted Mar 23, 2014 7:53pm
so nice to see all of you. it is nice to catch up, so thank you for doing so.
susa

Posted Mar 23, 2014 7:16pm
Hi Mel,
Thanks so much for the update. It has been a while since I tuned in, and I am delighted with the many beautiful photos and the giant b'day party for Izzy's 6th. May God continue to bless her and you with joy and gratitude. My prayers go with this. Love to you all, Fr. Bob M

Posted Mar 23, 2014 6:03pm
Happy Birthday, Beautiful!

Rainbow1Posted Mar 23, 2014 6:03pm
So glad that Izzy had a great birthday!!! I loved seeing all the pictures (what a cool cake)! I'm also glad that the sildenafil seems to be helping her feel a bit better. I think about you guys often!
Kelly
cp: JacksHeartUpdate

No comments:

Post a Comment